Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp 2.5 control dimmer 110v AC — Parallax Forums

basic stamp 2.5 control dimmer 110v AC

gaubien2000gaubien2000 Posts: 8
edited 2009-03-07 17:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, i am trying to control a light (110v AC) via my basic stamp. for an example, if i press and hold a switch from basic stamp then the light(110v) goes darker untill i release that switch or the light will go off if i keep holding the switch.·I dont know what or where i need to start. please give me the name of the components that i need·to·control the light,·and i will do research on my own. i tried to search for a DC - AC dimmer but there are none. please help!

thank you so much !

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-27 18:05
    Please do not post duplicate messages. You can delete one of them by going to the message and clicking on the X icon in the upper right of the window.

Do a Wikipedia search for "triac" and "dimmer". One link found is this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimmer.

You can buy what's called a "solid state relay" which is essentially a packaged triac controlled via an optically isolated LED. Your Stamp will have to detect the "zero-crossing" of the AC waveform using an opto-isolated zero-crossing detector, then delay a short (variable) time and trigger the triac. The delay time affects how bright (or dim) the light becomes.

Another technique is to use a commercial light dimmer and turn the knob using a servo motor which can be controlled by the Stamp.

The main thing is to avoid electrocuting yourself and others and avoiding blowing fuses or starting fires or explosions by short circuiting the AC line. If you don't know what you're doing, stick with a commercial light dimmer and follow the instructions for installation. If you do know what you're doing, stick with opto-isolated components and keep the AC and anything directly related to it in its own insulated box with the isolated logic signals coming out of the box.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-02-27 18:08
    You can also use X10 modules, about which there's plenty of recent chatter in this forum.

-Phil
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-02-27 18:33

Chatter, sir?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-02-27 20:47
    Hello,

Your duplicate post was removed. Please follow up in this thread instead of posting your question again.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • gaubien2000gaubien2000 Posts: 8
    edited 2009-03-07 17:21
    hi Mike Green,
    what is opto-isolated zero-crossing detector ? can i buy one or how can i build one ?
    where can i buy a triac, i tried radio shack but they dont have it. thanks a lot for helping me.
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-03-07 17:58
    PJ Allen said...

Chatter, sir?
    Yeah, you remember Chatter

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2fkIidxp74&feature=related

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.