Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propalyzer Distribution - New Update 1.0.1.4 Available - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propalyzer Distribution - New Update 1.0.1.4 Available

2»

Comments

• heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2009-10-02 21:28
    What I have is:

_CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X
    _XINFREQ = 6_553_600

I compiled and programmed EEPROM with this from BST.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-10-03 17:49
    Well, it's a serial port issue smile.gif

The .net can send to the port (the PropPlug LED blinks).
    The Propeller code gets the command and sends a response (the other PropPlug LED blinks).

I found HowToSystemIOPorts - Mono and it says, we have to poll the port for data ... ugggggh.
    Propalyzer uses event generated receive. Since .net is not generating events, no data is received.
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2009-10-03 18:09
    Damn...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2009-10-04 01:12
    Is there any way to modify this so I can get it down to using pins 0-15 rather than 0-29.· I notice you are able to keep it from running over your serial pins but I can't figure out how.· I have a board I am setting up as a kind of swiss army knife testing tool and I'd like to be able to run propalyzer as perhaps a background task and only using 0-15 so I can have a few other pins for other tests and an LCD.· But right now it seems to take all the pins away... or something about it cause launching it in a cog to kill the cog that launched it.· As soon as I do a cognew and put the propalyzers main function in there everything stops so either I lose my pins or the cog blows up for some reason.· Propalyzer is running though because I can get samples back from it just fine.· Here's the dirty code I'm trying this out with:

CON
      _CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X     'Set to ext low-speed xtal, 16x PLL
      _XINFREQ = 5_000_000          'Xtal 5MHz
      LCD_RX_PIN = 22
      LCD_BAUD   = 19_200
      LCD_LINEs  = 4
    OBJ
      lsa:  "Propalyzer"
      lcd:  "Debug_Lcd"
    VAR
      long lsaCog
      long lsaStack[noparse][[/noparse]1000]
    PUB Main 
      lcd.init(LCD_RX_PIN, LCD_BAUD, 4)
      lcd.cls
      lcd.backlight(true)
      lcd.cursor(0)

lsaCog := startLsa 
      lcd.str(string("Propalyzer Runs?"))

PUB startLsa | okay
      return okay := cognew(lsa.Main, @lsaStack)

If I comment out the startLSA code then everything runs and I get the text on the LCD.· If I put it back in then propalyzer runs but the lcd never prints the text.
    edited 2009-10-04 03:41
    PUB startLsa | okay
      return okay := cognew(lsa.Main, @lsaStack)

You can't start another object.method like that with cognew. This starts propalyzer in the same cog that calls startLsa ... not what you want. If you want to start propalyzer in a separate cog, you have to do it in the Propalyzer.spin file. All pins are inputs to the propalyzer code except the TX bit on P30. Hope this helps.

@heater, I spent most of the day trying to come up with a reasonable "poll thread" in .net so that it would work with mono on linux. I got close, but it never worked perfectly ... maybe tomorrow I'll look again when i'm fresh. Unfortunately, I now have many lumps on my head and am no closer to a solution. It is undoubtedly an eye opening weekend. Still, it was really nice to be able to put my source in MonoDevelop, compile, and run the program ... whatever that is worth.

Post Edited (jazzed) : 10/4/2009 4:41:22 AM GMT
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2009-10-04 04:17
    Well. That makes sense then. I didn't realize it had to be a call from the same object.
  • e-weldere-welder Posts: 1
    edited 2010-08-09 00:52
    Hello jazzed,
    The propalyzer1014a.zip file is demaged on the forum. Please upload again.
    Thank you in advance.

e-welder
    edited 2010-08-09 08:44
    e-welder wrote: »
    Hello jazzed,
    The propalyzer1014a.zip file is demaged on the forum. Please upload again.
    Thank you in advance.

e-welder
    Done. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Thanks,
    --Steve
  • jac_goudsmitjac_goudsmit Posts: 418
    edited 2012-02-15 15:42
    Hey Jazzed,

I see this project hasn't been updated for a while (sorry for bumping the thread) and the GUI application is closed source. I use Propalyzer heavily to debug my project (www.propeddle.com) but I keep running into limitations and problems of the Propalyzer GUI. I have the knowledge to write my own GUI but I don't want to get too distracted from my main project.

So I was wondering if you'd be willing to make the source code available? That way I (and others) can fix problems, improve the user interface and help others who are interested in this project. Of course I would post any contributions here and you would get full credit for the great work you did; without Propalyzer, I would have probably given up on my own project by now.

Thanks for considering!

===Jac
    edited 2012-02-15 18:32
    Hi Jac.

Welcome to the Propeller Forums.

I promise I will release the source. Right now I'm swamped in projects and will be until April.
    I'll see what I can do before then though.

Thanks,
    --Steve
  • PowersoftPowersoft Posts: 72
    edited 2012-09-21 04:46
    Hello,

How can I use the Propalyser with ViewPort

Jan Kromhout
    Hellevoetsluis-NL
  • PowersoftPowersoft Posts: 72
    edited 2012-09-21 04:48
    What is the latest recource?
    Last post about this subject was placed at 02-16-2012!
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-09-21 16:27
    Hmm yes im very intrested in knowing whats going on with this too!! jazzed you pmed me on 7-8 saying you would have the source out next month or at least in august iirc. Is there a g code page now?
    edited 2012-09-21 16:45
    Sorry guys, I've been busy. I've attached my latest VS10 C# project - consider it a 1.0.1.4a + package.

I haven't looked at this in a long while, and don't plan to continue developing it as is. My longer term plan is to make a not .net multi-OS version.

Propalyzer and Viewport are both programs that can use a Propeller. I don't know how Viewport could use Propalyzer. Viewport is a commercial program that is serviced by it's developer, email him for support. There are Viewport users who visit this forum, so maybe they can help.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-11-15 14:16
    Hi Steve,

Propalyzer is quite nice - great work!

I tried it today with the qspi code I am working on, and the triggering works very well.

I could not find the maximum number of samples in the readme file, however some experiments suggest it is somewhere around 200 samples, regardless of the sampling rate. Did I miss something?

Thanks,

Bill
    jazzed wrote: »
    Sorry guys, I've been busy. I've attached my latest VS10 C# project - consider it a 1.0.1.4a + package.

I haven't looked at this in a long while, and don't plan to continue developing it as is. My longer term plan is to make a not .net multi-OS version.

Propalyzer and Viewport are both programs that can use a Propeller. I don't know how Viewport could use Propalyzer. Viewport is a commercial program that is serviced by it's developer, email him for support. There are Viewport users who visit this forum, so maybe they can help.
    edited 2012-11-15 15:18
    Hi Bill.

The sample count is fixed at about 440 longs give or take. It's open-source so enhancements are welcome :)

The code I posted is reverse engineered from a .net package, so comments are MIA (lost the source).

--Steve
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2012-11-15 18:17
    Thank Steve.

If I had time, I would enhance propalyzer a bit - it really is a nice package, and it should not be too difficult to capture more samples, at least at lower sampling rates.

The real pain is getting the triggering right, with minimal delay before getting samples post trigger.

FYI, I am waiting for my "Open Workbench Logic Sniffer" to arrive - it's a great deal, and works with the Sump software; unfortunately it is on a slow boat from China - in retrospect I wish I'd paid for express shipping. 200msps for less than $100 including shipping and optional 5v buffer wing.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/open-workbench-logic-sniffer-p-612.html

Mind you, the Saelig one Parallax sells is better for those starting out due to the more polished software, and not having to deal with a bare board.

Bill
    jazzed wrote: »
    Hi Bill.

The sample count is fixed at about 440 longs give or take. It's open-source so enhancements are welcome :)

The code I posted is reverse engineered from a .net package, so comments are MIA (lost the source).

--Steve
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-11-15 20:04
    FYI, I am waiting for my "Open Workbench Logic Sniffer" to arrive - it's a great deal, and works with the Sump software; unfortunately it is on a slow boat from China - in retrospect I wish I'd paid for express shipping.

http://www.epictinker.com/Open-Workbench-Logic-Sniffer-p/obc101e1p.htm

Free shipping, ships from California, I ordered mine Sunday, had it Wednesday.

It's only $50, you can get one from them and have a spare when the one from China gets here.

I used mine yesterday to look at some SPI data, very happy with it so far.

C.W.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2013-01-02 19:11
    Jazzed,

Is the C# Source Code under the MIT license as well? I'm involved with OBC's OpenScope project and I want to do a C# version and what I see in the code looks promising and I may either modify or use portions of the code in my project.
    edited 2013-01-02 20:28
    Yes. I suppose I need to put license statements in the source. However, doing that is not high on my priority list right now.

One thing to consider is that serial ports do not work very good with C# on linux (mac? who knows, but I seriously doubt it). What I mean is last time I checked C# has trouble with serial port interrupt events on mono. If it works for you please tell me what mono version your using.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2013-01-03 05:33
    Right now I'm debating on using C# (which I know very well) or Java (which I need to learn). If I use Java I'll probably use RXTX for the serial port.