Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
433RF transceiver help — Parallax Forums

433RF transceiver help

DestinedtoFall12DestinedtoFall12 Posts: 4
edited 2009-02-26 16:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello good Sirs and Ma'ams i have a simple question. I will not badger you with technical questions yet because i am as green as they come and im quite sure that ive bitten of more than i can chew for time being. Is it possible to control the boe bot remotely using 10k potentiometers ( like a typical rc car) to control speed and direction with the 433RF transceivers?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-26 16:05
    Yes, it's possible. It would require some additional circuitry to determine the setting of the 10K pots and send that through the transceiver in a fashion that the BoeBot can handle easily. Practically speaking, it would be easiest to have another Stamp on the transmitting end to do that. A BS1 would be more than adequate for the task.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2009-02-26 16:05
    Dest,

It's totally possible. I'm guessing you are going to have a controller with a Stamp and a RF unit, sending data to your bot.

Firstly, you need to read the pots. You can use the RCTIME command and circuit that is in the Stamp manual. Read the pots and then send that data to your bot.

However, RCTIME has limited resolution, so you may not get as fine control as you might want. If this is the case, get an analog to digital converter (adc). This will allow you· to read the pots with better resolution. How many channels do you need for your bot? Just speed and direction only need two, so a LTC1298 would work.

Start by looking at the RCTTIME command and circuit and set up the Stamp to read and debug the output. You can do this with parts from Radio Shack. Once you are reading the pots, then you can work on sending the data to your bot.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • DestinedtoFall12DestinedtoFall12 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-02-26 16:33
    Brian,

Excellent news. Thanks for your input its much appreciated. I look forward to you guys pointing out my amateur mistakes in the future!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My brain hurts