Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for versatile audio board/wav player for my project — Parallax Forums

Looking for versatile audio board/wav player for my project

bender242bender242 Posts: 1
edited 2009-03-20 23:31 in BASIC Stamp
I need to play some sound effects when various switches on my project are turned on, but I need them handled differently. For example, when toggle switch #1 is turned on, I need a 3-second claxon horn alarm to play, and to continue looping until I turn it off. When switch #2 is turned on, I need a 'radio chatter' sound effect to be selected at random from a predetermined pool of files and played...15 seconds after that sound completes, I need another file chosen at random from the pool and played, and so on, until switch #2 is turned off. Switch #3 might be a wav that just plays once, each time the switch is turned on.

Does anyone know of a sound board that has this kind of flexibility?

thanks!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-25 06:46
    Two sound players come to mind. Neither of them will do the looping for you, but you can build that into your program.

1) VMusic2 from Vinculum. This works like the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger and can use the same code (with some minor changes). It handles MP3 files and has stereo line output.
    www.vinculum.com/prd_vmusic1.html

2) QV606m1 from Quadravox. This is pretty straightforward to control with a Stamp. It can drive a single speaker directly. It also uses MP3 files.
    www.quadravox.com/frameset/qvframeset.htm

3) There's a dual channel sound sequencer using a Propeller that's in the Completed Projects forum that includes speaker switching for up to 6 speakers (each channel can be directed to one of 6 speakers). It uses two VMusic2 devices and a 7W mono amplifier for each channel. It might give you some ideas.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=677691

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 2/25/2009 6:56:05 AM GMT
  • Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-03-03 23:53
    The Nuvoton Chipcorder ISD 1700 series - http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ISD17120PY-ND· - has both an SPI interface and a pushbutton mode interface and an onboard speaker driver . Pricing is·~$10 from Digikey depending on the length of the messages that you record. You can easily control it from a Stamp by·selecting the pushbutton interface and adding code to respond to your variety of switches.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Craig Eid

www.TriadRD.com

Post Edited (Craig Eid) : 3/4/2009 12:01:17 AM GMT
  • andymanandyman Posts: 8
    edited 2009-03-20 21:23
    Mike Green said...
    Two sound players come to mind. Neither of them will do the looping for you, but you can build that into your program.

1) VMusic2 from Vinculum. This works like the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger and can use the same code (with some minor changes). It handles MP3 files and has stereo line output.
    www.vinculum.com/prd_vmusic1.html

2) QV606m1 from Quadravox. This is pretty straightforward to control with a Stamp. It can drive a single speaker directly. It also uses MP3 files.
    www.quadravox.com/frameset/qvframeset.htm

3) There's a dual channel sound sequencer using a Propeller that's in the Completed Projects forum that includes speaker switching for up to 6 speakers (each channel can be directed to one of 6 speakers). It uses two VMusic2 devices and a 7W mono amplifier for each channel. It might give you some ideas.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=677691

Hi Mike, (newbie here)

After reading your post (and a few from other forums) I decided to run out and buy the VMusic2 module. And apparently like a lot of people, am struggling with Vinculum's lack of clear documentation. freaked.gif I have found some info from various people on hooking it up, but usually to other things. I've managed to load what I hope is the proper firmware, I'm just not sure how to make connections to my BASIC Stamp (BS2). Any ideas?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-03-20 22:59
  • andymanandyman Posts: 8
    edited 2009-03-20 23:31
    Excellent! Thanks, PJ