Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2x16 serial lcd problem — Parallax Forums

2x16 serial lcd problem

firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
edited 2009-02-28 11:31 in BASIC Stamp
Hey, i just recetly purchased a 2x16 parallax serial lcd. It was working fine until last night. I was programming it downstaira on my computer, and got the program running and the display showing everything correctly. But when i turned the board of education off and unpluged everything and went into my room, and plugged everything back in, my lcd was messed. I turned it on and it showed 2 squares that were hardly visible on the left. When I put switch 1 and 2 off, for test mode, the backlight came on and tons of squares were shown. The display still scrolls when supposed too, except instead of text, it's sqaures.

any ideas?

thanks,
Chris.

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-02-24 15:56
    Hi Chris, have you tried adjusting the contrast pot on the back of the module.

Jeff T.
  • firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
    edited 2009-02-24 17:22
    Yes I have tried that, It did not help [noparse]:([/noparse]

Any other ideas?
  • Just JeffJust Jeff Posts: 36
    edited 2009-02-24 18:43
    Good morning,· In my experiance when you move something (a project) something always comes loose... really double check every connection very carefully and you might find a loose connection.· Good luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Currently working on "Omnibot v2" - A "rejuvenated" 1980's Tomy Omnibot 2000 Robot

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
    edited 2009-02-24 22:42
    hey, i double checked everything. It wont even work on test mode, it just shows sqaures.

any other ideas? Is there a way to reset the thing?
    edited 2009-02-25 01:13
    hey, i actually rememberd something..my bs2 chip recently fried while the lcd was connected and powered on. I replaced the bs2 chip.

But, since then, i had a small problem where i had to constantly reset the dip switches on the back of lcd, for it to display my programmed text. Thens suddenly i get the square problem.

Is it possible the lcd got short circuited when the bs2 got short circuited?

thanks,
    chris.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-02-25 02:56
    firealarmfreak

1:How did You fry Your BS2?
    2tongue.giflease post what You did so others will not follow this practice.
    3:It is NOT normal that ones burns up a BS2.
    4:There are two ways to fix this problem.
    4A: Read up on the BS2. OR
    4B: Hold Your breath until You pass out, And Forget the stupid stuff You were doing just previously. Then read up on the BS2

______$WMc%____________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
    edited 2009-02-25 03:40
    I have no idea how i fried it, but somehow i fried pin 1, 7 and 14 on my bs2.

I don't know why my lcd stopped working but has anybody else had that problem where squares appear on the lcd instead of text? Is there any way of repairing it?

thanks,
    chris.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-02-25 05:12
    The squares on the LCD can appear when the baud rates
    between the Basic Stamp and the LCD do not match.

humanoido
    edited 2009-02-25 05:19
    how do i change the baud rates so they match correctly?

thanks,
    chris.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-02-25 14:00
    To match the baud rates, download the manual at the Parallax web store and observe the dip switch settings. Match these to the PBASIC code that you are running. To find the baud rates for the PBASIC serial statement, use the Basic Stamp Editor help files with a search on serial.

humanoido
  • Neil B.Neil B. Posts: 4
    edited 2009-02-26 03:01
    Also I had a similar problem with an LCD where if I did not hold the TX pin to the LCD high the pin would remain in a floating state and would write random blocks or characters to the display after I had written something to it.
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2009-02-28 11:31
    try:

SEROUT pin, baud, [noparse][[/noparse]$16, $11]
    PAUSE 100

This will turn the LCD on [noparse][[/noparse]with no cursor, no blink] and turn the LCD backlight On
    The pause is just to give the LCD time to execute the commands before sending data to display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Smile ... It increases your face value!