Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Metal Detecting Circuit for the BS2 — Parallax Forums

Metal Detecting Circuit for the BS2

BriceHBriceH Posts: 10
edited 2009-02-23 04:02 in BASIC Stamp
Does anyone have any ideas for a metal detector circuit for the BS2?· I would like to avoid hitting horse type fencing composed of #12 wire aranged in a 6" x 6" grid pattern.· The ping sensor will not pick it up.· Thankx... Brice.
·

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,563
    edited 2009-02-21 07:31
    BriceH

A derivative of this might work... http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=467144

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2009-02-21 19:11
    How far away must you detect?

Need it, or may it, be specific for your 6" wire squares?

You could take advantage of the fact that your 6" wire squares are all uniform and all resonant at the same VHF frequency (in the general vicinity of 200 MHz where they are full-wave loops).· At that frequency they will absorb energy, detuning or possibly quenching an oscillator in your equipment that was·oscillating at the resonant frequency of the loops.· Basically you build a grid-dip (or gate-dip) meter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
  • BriceHBriceH Posts: 10
    edited 2009-02-23 04:02
    The metal detector circuit Beau mentioned lookes like it will work.· I just want to avoid running into this type of fencing.
    It seems that analog electronics is becoming a lost art these days but I am trying.·
    I am glad there are places like this, and folks in here to help people like me... Thanks... Brice.