Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can i make this GPS unit work with a BS2-BOE — Parallax Forums

Can i make this GPS unit work with a BS2-BOE

Tech-ManTech-Man Posts: 100
edited 2009-02-19 20:27 in BASIC Stamp
Ok so I just got some awesome parts but I don’t know if I can use them. See my dad’s GPS unit got smashed in between his arm rest and the seat. It totally cracked the touch screen overlay but the color LCD is still ok so maybe someday way in the future I’ll have the knowhow to run that with something. The cooler part is that it has a GPS module, the second I saw it I was like wait a minute that looks exactly like the parallax one. The only difference is a little connector for an antenna. Upon futher examination I determined that it was an RGM-3550LP. http://www.royaltek.com/products_dtl.php?cid=3&id=37&argPage=1&argI=9
It still looks fairly simple to use but like everything else I don’t know how. It uses RX and TX at TTL levels instead of what I think the parallax version uses which is serial. I didn’t know that the parallax version had another processor on it, so anyway how hard would this be to use. If it helps I have this chip for my CMU CAM2 ·that converts TTL to RS232??? ····

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
There are no Undo buttons in life.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-19 20:27
    The datasheet says that the power supply needs to be 3.3V and the logic levels are 3.3V. This is not compatible with the 5V logic levels of the Stamps, but there are all sorts of ways to interface them. There's a "sticky" thread in the Propeller forum on "Propeller Hardware stickies" that discusses all sorts of techniques for the Propeller, but they apply to any 3.3V to 5V logic interface. Have a look at them. DO NOT connect this GPS device directly to a Stamp or you may damage it.