Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with 8-bit ADC and BOE — Parallax Forums

Need help with 8-bit ADC and BOE

Tech-ManTech-Man Posts: 100
edited 2009-02-19 16:57 in BASIC Stamp
I have a dual-axis accelerometer that I would love to use in a project but the problem is it outputs an analog voltage proportional to the angle it’s positioned. So I found the HI5714/4CB 8-Bit A/D Converter as a free sample and ordered two of them. There SOIC so I hot glued one to a small 1.5” x 1.5” piece of Lexan and carefully soldered on 3” lengths of wire wrap wire. Now I can easily solder them to two 12 pin headers and have a bread board ready SOIC ADC.·Now·the only problem is I have no idea how to program the thing to read a value. Any links or code that you might have would be most helpful. Oh yeah i have a BS1·and BS2-BOE so... and here is·the data sheet:··http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3973.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
There are no Undo buttons in life.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-19 16:06
    This is not a good A/D Converter for a beginner to use. It's very high speed, so requires a lot of care in how it's used. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work at all or works poorly the way you've mounted it. It requires no special programming since it just puts out an 8-bit number every clock cycle. This would be connected to 8 I/O pins on your Stamp and just read as a byte. Follow the suggestions in the datasheet for mounting and input circuitry. You might be able to use another Stamp I/O pin for the clock input since there's no minimum requirement for the clock speed although the clock is supposed to be symmetric (when present).

Personally, I think you'd be much better off using an ADC08031. They're not too fussy. They play well with Stamps, and there's plenty of documented examples of its use including sample code. They can be bought from DigiKey for $3.
  • Tech-ManTech-Man Posts: 100
    edited 2009-02-19 16:57
    Yeah I think your right the 8031 looks much easier to use. Especially since like you said there is more documentation in respect to basic stamp interfacing. I found these for free so I thought I’d give it a go. I may have said it on here before but I bought an electric wheel chair for $20 and the motors are awesome. I would really like to make either a Segway type thing or just a balancing robot platform. So wouldn’t I be better off with a faster ADC or it like a lot faster for audio and stuff. Also just curious why wouldn’t it work the way I have it mounted. Anyway i got a PIC programmer the other day off E-bay now i just need to get some pics that should be fun. Ever used Flowcode V3???

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There are no Undo buttons in life.