Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
[SOLVED] linux question about recognition of stamp — Parallax Forums

[SOLVED] linux question about recognition of stamp

hockeyhead019hockeyhead019 Posts: 4
edited 2009-02-21 21:35 in BASIC Stamp
ok guys i've tried to research this for a while now and i've still come up with nothing which works so please any help would be great.

ok here goes... i'm running ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop computer and it's a dual boot with windows (but linux is my main os) so anyways i don't have any serial ports built in with my computer so i got an adapter. the windows version of the stamp program sees it fine and works like a charm but then on linux i've downloaded and installed everything correctly, i've linked the /dev/bstamp with /dev/ttyUSB0 which is correct from what i've read and it compiles fine but when it comes time to run the program on the stamp it says that it can't identify my stamp even thought i know it's physically connected correctly and powered.

please any help is greatly appreciated
cheers

Post Edited (hockeyhead019) : 2/21/2009 10:14:47 PM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-02-17 02:47
    Are you SURE /dev/ttyUSB0 is the correct port on your computer? This is not always the case and you need to check.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2009-02-17 04:09
    What software are you using? I tried to use wine(mandriva) with the windows basic stamp IDE but I had the same problem, couldn't find the serial ports.
    -dan
  • hockeyhead019hockeyhead019 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-02-17 22:10
    i was pretty sure but to be safe how do you know which one it is? and if it is a different one would that solve my problem?

thanks
    jim
  • Adrian SchneiderAdrian Schneider Posts: 92
    edited 2009-02-18 08:11
    verify whether the serial connection through your /dev/ttyUSBn works at all. Wire the serial side of your USB/Serial converter for
    echo operation and use one terminal to read from /dev/ttyUSBn (e.g. using 'cat') and an other one to write to /dev/ttyUSBn (e.g. using 'echo').
    Tweak the serial port parameters using 'stty' (this command should be available on most linuxes).
    edited 2009-02-19 03:06
    yea i'm a noob haha... in a lil more of moron terms please? i understand that i should check the ability to write to and recieve from the serial port but how by using the echo commands and then cat but can i have an ex. of how to use them?

thanks
    - Jim
  • Adrian SchneiderAdrian Schneider Posts: 92
    edited 2009-02-19 09:44
    open a terminal window and enter the command line: cat /dev/ttyUSB0
    open an other terminal window and enter the command line: echo "hello" >> /dev/ttyUSB0
    If on your usb-to-serial coverter RX and TX are connected and the serial port is working, everything output to /dev/ttyUSB0 in the
    second terminal is returned and displayed in the first terminal (usually until the end-of-line).
    edited 2009-02-21 21:35
    ok so yea that works... but wouldn't that work regardless of whether or not that is actually the stamp? but yes the echo and cat procedure that you just described works...

never mind i figured it out followed this tut linuxfreak87.googlepages.com/stamplinux.pdf sorry to waste everybody's time

Post Edited (hockeyhead019) : 2/21/2009 10:16:02 PM GMT