Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Are you using a USB to RS232 adapter? — Parallax Forums

Are you using a USB to RS232 adapter?

MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
edited 2010-10-09 09:20 in BASIC Stamp
Post up what make/model your using [noparse][[/noparse]that works]..
also post the ones you've tried that failed.

I'll compile the list in alphabetical order and add it to the FAQ's post

Thanx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Smile ... It increases your face value!

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-02-11 20:33
    I know that Belkin does not work with the BASIC Stamps.· Radio Shack(Windows 2Kand XP), Bafo 810(Windows 2K and XP), and FTDI(Windows 2K to Vista)·are all compatible.· Some Keyspan versions work.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • wmtell1wmtell1 Posts: 14
    edited 2009-02-11 23:03
    I'm using the FTDI adaptor on WinXP.
  • Craig EidCraig Eid Posts: 106
    edited 2009-02-11 23:29
    Bill,

I am running Windows XP Pro and using the premium FTDI cable - US232R-100 - and it is worth the extra $$$.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Craig Eid

www.TriadRD.com
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-02-12 15:47
    Brand: ATEN·· Model:UC-232A

TRW·swap-meet adapter (new in box, $8) works flawlessly on XP and Vista www.aten.com

http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pid=2005022316346005&psid=20070130144911002&pcid=2007013014453002&layerid=subClass7

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-02-12 15:55
    DOESN'T WORK!

Brand: HL Model: USB-RS232 Generic blister-card adapter common on Ebay clear/silver cable, blue plastic housings USB 2.0

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."

Post Edited (erco) : 2/12/2009 9:41:56 PM GMT
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2009-02-12 16:25
    erco said...
    DOESN'T WORK!

Brand: HL Model: USB-RS32 Generic blister-card adapter common on Ebay clear/silver cable, blue plastic housings USB 2.0

That sounds like the one I'm using, without any issues.. there is no make or model on the one I'm using.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-02-12 20:02
    I know the Radio Shack cable has been mentioned and wondered if it's the same as the one I bought from Radio Shack , it has the brand name Gigaware.

Works great with the Stamp but I can't get it to work with the SX.

Jeff T.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2009-02-23 06:00
    I bought one of those HL-34 adapters from somebody on eBay. It wasn't blister packed, it just came in a clear plastic bag, along with a mini disc with the driver on it (USBSER34.SYS). It's the one with clear blue housings on the ends with the braided silver inside clear plastic type cable. I've only used it with a BS2. but so far it's working fine. I'm running Windows XP Pro with service pack 2.

edit: I had forgotten about this old post, but it needs updating.
    The adapter in question did not continue to work, it became "flaky" and would often lose it's connection.
    I later upgraded to Windows 7 and never could get it to work with that O.S.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Rick
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-23 06:07
    Keyspan's High Speed Serial Adapter USA-19HS works well for programming both Stamps and Propellers

Pretty much any adapter using FTDI's chips seems to work. I've used several of the ones they make themselves.
  • yarisboyyarisboy Posts: 245
    edited 2009-03-04 03:51
    Windows XP home edition. Source: Walmart. Model GUC232AWM. Comes with mini CD. Cheap and works great.
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2009-03-04 04:23
    MrBi11--

I use the·Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter. I have a bunch of them and have never had a problem.

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • KsimKsim Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-19 03:22
    MrBi11 said...
    erco said...
    DOESN'T WORK!

Brand: HL Model: USB-RS32 Generic blister-card adapter common on Ebay clear/silver cable, blue plastic housings USB 2.0

That sounds like the one I'm using, without any issues.. there is no make or model on the one I'm using.

This is the one I am trying to use, Just bought a used discovery set and this cable came new in box. Did you have to dl a driver? if so do you remember where you got it?

I am getting the no serial port warning jumping up at me.

Sorry I should get kicked for not reading further on to RDL2004's post. I did try this but it was a no go on XP home without major reconfiguration of my usb ports and hopfully not messing up my entire pc.

I think I'll chalk this up as a "HL Blue with silver wire is a No go here" and spend a bit more for a plug and play tommorow when the stores open up.

Post Edited (Ksim) : 3/19/2009 4:24:43 AM GMT
  • KsimKsim Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-19 23:23
    The HL never did work for me But I did buy a Nexxtech 2613297 Which came with a driver CD and had it up and running in about 2 minutes.

Well worth the $26

·
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-03-20 16:08
    I use the AXE027 USB/serial adaptor and is working good for $15.00
  • MadriasMadrias Posts: 2
    edited 2009-03-25 23:50
    I went for reliability and bought the ones from Parallax. Guaranteed to work with their own products.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2009-03-26 00:01
    Got mine from "big country who makes everything". Clear cable and blue DB9 plug. Came with minidisk and about 5 drivers! After failing to make it work with three of them I found my old serial cable and just keep trucking!
    BASIC stamp was never detected! If I find my RS232 breakout box I can figure it out later why it does not work. Had similar problem interfacing to my ham rig via USB. The moral of the story - the slowest device in PC - connected via serial port never works on first try.
    Cheers
  • NeoneuronNeoneuron Posts: 9
    edited 2009-04-03 02:36
    This may sound idiotic (oh, wait - it does - too late!) my computer COULD identify the port, but not identify my microprocessor > aargghhh! and tearing out hair.. After 2 different computer installations I realized that there was an on/off switch on the board. I was so vexed at doing EXACTLY (for fear of burning out the microprocessor) what the book said, that I had forgone the basics. (Sigh, tunnel vision at best) rolleyes.gif The totally ironic part about all of this is that, not only do they not say what the number 2 setting on the switch is.. They don't mention the switch at all.. not even in the manual.. (Try a search yourself)
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2009-04-03 07:21
    Neoneuron,

The power switch·is covered in the What's A Microcontroller? Text; which is an educational book that familiarizes users with using the Board of Education and the HomeWork Board. It also covers some relative fundamentals with using the BASIC Stamp and programming in PBASIC. It is possible to download this book from our web site; or it is available in various starter kits, like the Activity Kit, or Discover Kit; but here is a link for the downloadable PDF for a reference.

I hope this helps, and try not to forget, always start with the easy fix first; everyone gets caught overlooking the easy fix from time to time, programming or hardware connections.·smile.gif

What's A Microcontroller?:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/books/edu/Wamv2_2.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com

Post Edited (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 4/3/2009 2:58:30 PM GMT
  • Karl WendtKarl Wendt Posts: 7
    edited 2009-04-03 18:35
    I am using the USB-Serial cable from the Vex Robotics Programming kit which seems to be by Prolific. For Windows XP I used the drivers from www.vexrobotics.com/vex-robotics-downloads.shtml and for Macintosh osx-pl2303.sourceforge.net/
  • Glen GrenierGlen Grenier Posts: 2
    edited 2010-03-13 23:34
    erco and all,
    I am using a ATEN UC-232A usb to serial converter.· It works flawlessly on xp pro,· but now I have switched to an HP Laptop running Vista 64.· The serial link is not reliable.· If I try to download while a debug window is open, it surely gives me a download failed, hardware error.· If the debug window is closed, then it works about 60% of the time.· I can get just about 100 reliability on download if I put a switch on my Homework Board and stop the program before trying a download.·
    My programs are simple servo control in the Homework Board book as I am just starting.
    I have tried just about every setting for the port in the hardware manager in Vista for the ATEN port on Com5.· Nothing really helps.

Do you or anyone have any suggestions, or should I get a different USB to serial device?· Please Help.
    Thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-13 23:39
    It may be that the timing for DTR (Reset) is marginal under XP and out of range under Vista. This is probably a function of how the USB driver interacts with the operating system. If there's a more recent I/O driver for the adapter available, try that. If that doesn't fix it, you may have to switch to an FTDI adapter which is known to work under Vista.
  • Glen GrenierGlen Grenier Posts: 2
    edited 2010-03-14 13:19
    Thanks Mike, I have the latest of drivers. I just ordered the Parallax converter with the FTDI chip in it. I don't want to tempt myself omto wasting any more time fooling with the converter, I want to make stuff. Again, thanks for your advice and insight.
  • legoman132legoman132 Posts: 87
    edited 2010-03-14 17:23
    For my homework board, I use a GMUS-03. Brand unknown. Tricky to find the drivers for it, but it was FREE smilewinkgrin.gif and it works.
  • ctdahlectdahle Posts: 29
    edited 2010-10-08 19:02
    I have a UCON-232S which uses an FTDI chipset. It came with an INEX "Robo-Box" (Logo Cricket based) kit that I bought before I learned of the BOE-BOT. It worked with the Logo Cricket for a couple of weeks last spring and then it quit communicating with the Cricket. I assumed a bad Cricket because it works with other serial devices (a Dataq ADC that I use for data logging).

I tried it with a BS2 last week. It worked for a few hours, then it lost communication. "Stamp not found". It still works with the ADC.

I am now shopping for a new adapter...most likely the one from Parallax, but unfortunately it has to come out of my budget for a new USB BOE :cry:.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,178
    edited 2010-10-09 09:20
    MrBi11 wrote: »
    Post up what make/model your using [noparse][[/noparse]that works]..
    also post the ones you've tried that failed.

I'll compile the list in alphabetical order and add it to the FAQ's post

Thanx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Hello!
    I am using the one from Parallax, at the suggestion of Mike. I figured it was my best bet as I am already familiar with the FTDI devices and drivers. I also did run the stamp one I have the same way for a while.:idea: