Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepper Motor Wire Colors — Parallax Forums

Stepper Motor Wire Colors

RocketmaniacRocketmaniac Posts: 26
edited 2011-04-11 19:57 in Robotics
Hello,

I have several stepper motors that I can find·little or no documentation for. As a starting place, I need to know where·each wire goes.

The motors I have are all 6-wire unipolar.

Two types of motors I have, have·the same wire colors. One·type is·the Superior Electric SLO-SYN Synchronous/stepping motor, model M061-LS02.
The other·type is·the Japan Servo Co, LTD type KH56HM2-018. These motors·have the following wire colors.

red
purple (black?)
white w red stripe
green
white
white w green stripe

Another type of motor I have is·the Japan Servo Co, LTD type KH42HM2-056. It has the these wire colors.

black
red
brown
yellow
blue
orange

Looking at the following website http://www.probotix.com/stepper_motors/unipolar_bipolar/·I see a third set of possible wire colors.

Can anyone help out here? If the colors themselves don't tell what each wire does or goes to, is there way of testing the motor to find out?
Like with a meter?

I don't have a controller yet. I will be making my own. I want to use several of these motors·on a robot I am building that will use a Basic Stamp 2SE. (I am very new to robotics/basic stamp etc. so I need this kind of stuff explained in·beginner's terms)

Any and all advice will be helpful,

Randy

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-02-11 17:17
    http://www.imagesco.com/articles/picstepper/02.html

http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/stepper/wires.htm

To test which wires go together, look at the links provided for reference, and use a multimeter (on continuity/resistance) to determine which wires attach to the coils.
  • RocketmaniacRocketmaniac Posts: 26
    edited 2009-02-11 20:10
    SRLM said...
    To test which wires go together
    SRLM, thanks so much for your help.

The javascript page http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/stepper/wires.asp·is awesome!!!!

Randy
  • Ben KirkpatrickBen Kirkpatrick Posts: 7
    edited 2009-02-18 22:16
    Slightly an aside to the previous question. For an unknown stepper, I can use a meter to work out which cable is which... but how do I know what voltage to drive it at? Or do you start low and just go up until you get some movement?

For instance, tiny stepper that drives the screw (head placement) on the back of a floppy disk drive...
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2009-02-18 22:46
    You can try searching on the part number. chances are that if you are trying to use a motor out of a drive, chances are someone else already tried.

For instance, I pulled a stepper out of a drive , put the part # into google and got this

In Reply to: Japan Servo Co, LTD. KP39HM2-025 posted by Puki on 06/15/02 at 12:36 AM:
    kp39hm2-025
    12V Unipolar 4 phase 1.8 degree stepper from Japan servo
    Red = Common
    Bl = Phase A
    Ye = Phase B
    Br = Phase C
    Or = Phase D

everything I needed to know.....

Two other considerations -

steppers can often be run at higher voltages if the current is kept down. a way to measure whether you have too much current going through the motor is to put your finger on it. If you can hold it on comfortably, you are probably doing OK. If it's hot, use a resistor to reduce the current or use a chopper drive.

If it came out of a computer, the motor probably runs fine at 5 or 12 volts. That's the normal voltages a PC power supply provides.
  • rsgordyrsgordy Posts: 1
    edited 2011-04-11 19:57
    Hello, Randy
    I use this stepping motor (M061-LS02) in a biomedical unit and have a schematic showing the interconnections by color to the driver circuit that consists of four FETs driven by a TTL latch which in turn is driven by a computer. If you still need this information I can email it to you. My email address is rsgordy@rapidsys.com

regards,
    Steve