Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Basic Stamp Found — Parallax Forums

No Basic Stamp Found

KoutroullosKoutroullos Posts: 2
edited 2009-02-10 17:32 in BASIC Stamp
The existing programs who are loaded on the 2 boebots I have are
working fine and are communicating over the serial port.
When I connect them using a usb to serial converter I can open a debug
window in the basic stamp editor and I can see correctly information
coming from boe-bot and I can send commands to it over serial.

When I try to upload any program to both of them I am getting No Basic
Stamps found even if the specific com port used if being checked and
both Loopback and Echo are NO.

Please also note that another proof that the serial to usb adapter
works fine is that I used this adapter in combination with a null
modem cable to update the firmware of mt dreambox (my satellite
receiver) and worked fine.(so in my understanding the adapter is fine,
I can send/receive info over serial to the boe-bots but I can not put
new programs on them since I am getting the message No BASIC Stamps
found

I have two BS2 stamps and one BS2p. I tried this will all stamps (which currently have a different program loaded on them) on two different computers. I even tried restarting the computers.

Please help! Thanks very much for your time! freaked.gif

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-02-10 17:14
    Not all USB to serial adapters are compatible with the BASIC Stamp.· You cannot use a Null modem cable, you'll need a db9 straight through cable with the adapter.··· Radio Shack carries a USB to serial adapter that is compatible with Windows 2K and XP.··We have an adapter that is compatible with Windows 2K to Vista for $19.99.· Here is link for more information:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CablesConverters/tabid/166/CategoryID/40/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/379/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-10 17:20
    If Loopback or Echo are NO, you have some kind of bad serial connection between the PC and the Stamp. The Stamp Manual shows how that connection should be on page 28. Essentially, DSR and RTS must be connected together. The Stamp itself has to connect its receive line (Sin) to its transmit line (Sout) so it echos back to the PC what's received from it. In order to download, the Stamp also has to get a pulse on DTR which resets it and, within a short timeframe, it has to get the download data from the PC.

The fact that your "dreambox" can be updated is no proof that the DSR, RTS, and DTR signals are working properly. Some download protocols do not use these, but the Stamp requires them to work properly. The Stamp debug window also does not require that these signals work.
  • KoutroullosKoutroullos Posts: 2
    edited 2009-02-10 17:24
    So the advice is to buy another serial to usb adapter? Which one to buy or what should it support to be able to use it for uploading programs to basic stamps?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-10 17:32
    A USB to serial adapter must properly implement DSR, RTS, and DTR. For general usability, it should also implement CTS. I have personally used a variety of adapters that use the FTDI chips internally. Parallax uses these in all its adapters and boards that incorporate a USB to serial adapter. I have also used a Keyspan High Speed USB to serial adapter (now owned by Tripp Lite). FTDI sells its own adapters using its chips and I've used several different models successfully with Stamps and Propellers under Windows and the MacOS.