Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD Card Adapters — Parallax Forums

SD Card Adapters

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
edited 2009-02-12 22:55 in Propeller 1
Hello,

I need to get a few SD card adapters for use with Propellers. The guys in our office don't have any of these yet.

Could you make a suggestion or two about possible suppliers? We're looking for an adapter socket which could easily breadboard.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

Comments

• mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-02-10 01:38
    spin studio sd adapter would be easily breadboarded.
  • shanghai_foolshanghai_fool Posts: 149
    edited 2009-02-10 02:17
    Sparkfun has both SD and Micro-SD, both of which are very easy to breadboard.
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2009-02-10 02:34
    Ken, you just tell me how many you need and they're yours!

Your generosity has to be repaid somehow smile.gif

See the picture below for an example of how easy it is to breadboard! The pull-up resistors are built in, and only the necessary connectors are brought out to a 6 pin header.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
    350 x 252 - 15K
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-02-10 02:38
    Ken,

I have Brian's unit. It is really well made and easy to breadboard. Attached is the photo of his SD Card Adapter from his website.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 2/10/2009 2:44:05 AM GMT
    350 x 262 - 26K
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,389
    edited 2009-02-10 02:46
    Brian,

That's it exactly - even shown with a PE Kit. Could you send two of them - one for me and one for Andy? I'll give mine to Chris after I have a chance to connect it with the Propeller.

That's exactly what we're looking for!

I'm not used to getting free stuff, so this is really great.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2009-02-10 03:01
    Done! you'll have them in 2-3 days.

I just happened to be packing up another order, so it's out the door in the morning. Good timing!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio - the modular Development system for the Propeller

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller! PropJoy - Plug in a joystick and play some games!

SD card Adapter - mass storage for the masses Audio/Video adapter add composite video and sound to your Proto Board
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2009-02-10 03:09
    Ken,

If you really get stuck yo can use an old floppy cable and a glue gun to make a connector like the one in the picture (attached)

It's a little rough but will do in pinch. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2009-02-10 04:30
    Ken, isn't this forum just fantastic - problem asked, problem solved.

For others, you can buy a SD to microSD adapter. It is an SD card with an internal socket for a microSD. Just glue and wire the SD adapter to the pcb and you have a microSD socket. Mine cost A$7 for the adapter plus a 1GB microSD card at the local Officeworks store.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps (SixBladeProp)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators (Micros eg Altair, and Terminals eg VT100) - index
    · Search the Propeller forums (via Google)

My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-02-10 15:48
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...(trimmed)
    Brian,
    That's it exactly - even shown with a PE Kit. Could you send two of them - one for me and one for Andy? I'll give mine to Chris after I have a chance to connect it with the Propeller.
    Ken, you're safe...I actually have an SD and Micro-SD sockets with headers I got from <smile> Sparkfun about a year ago.· =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-02-10 15:54
    Chris,

That's okay, now we'll all have one.

Thanks,

Ken
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-02-10 16:02
    <SHAKES HEAD>You guys haven't tried SD with Propeller yet??</SHAKES HEAD>

<SMIRK>

Having been to Parallax and seen how insanely busy everyone is at the company,
    I'll give them a pass... this time... [noparse]:)[/noparse] The SD card is one of the most important
    connections to create after video and keyboard.

We'll get you up to speed yet, Ken. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Brian's adapters are very nice.

If all you had is a simple SD socket, they can be attached to a Protoboard very easily.
    (A little solder prep at the connection points, and push each pin down with the iron.)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-02-10 16:14
    OBC,

You'll be happy to know that both of my card readers·were broken in over a year ago based on the object in the obex. I only briefly tested them back then as I hadn't yet had a need for so much storage on the Propeller. I am more of a minimalist usually.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-02-10 16:17
    OBC suggests that Parallax gets a day off to play with all the demos, software, and games
    which have been written for the Propeller using SD. There's a lot of really neat stuff for it.

Start with Bagger's Manic Miner game, then FemtoBASIC. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-02-10 17:17
    OBC. This is a really good idea, and I'm going to take you up on it. I have only one meeting today, and after it I'm "all Propeller". The other Parallaxers will have to read the forums to see that you've imparted our direction for the day. After all, we're supposed to listen to our customers!

There's always work to do around the clock, and if we're not careful the regular routine can cause us to neglect what we really enjoy at Parallax.

Good riddance spreadsheets and office tasks . . . I'm hookin' up my PropBot!

Ken Gracey
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2009-02-10 17:41
    Ken,

Don't forget, the forums has a search feature. Please do your research prior to asking any silly questions!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

-Parsko
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-02-10 18:27
    the search function could be easier. I did not notice it for a long time. use to seeing a text box with a button labeled search.
    edited 2009-02-11 13:41
    Ken,

Hope you really got the chance to enjoy the Product yesterday!
    PropBOT a version of the Boebot with a Propeller board? Or something bigger?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-02-11 14:02
    OBC,

It was a great afternoon. Thanks for making the directive to do something creative. My time was spent with my plywood robot "PropBot" - not the pre-production model you've seen in our office of the new robot in our training room. My robot is working really well and I was able to spend some time really configuring the sensors to work effectively. Today I'll launch a mini-run of Ping))) brackets on the CNC mill between marketing projects and around lunch so I can more adequately equip my robot.

This is what I've got under control:

HB-25 Motor Control
    Ping Sensors, including the software filtering
    Wireless modem with 2-meter radios for communication back to my office

Now I'm starting in with the GPS sensor. I need to make that function properly and figure out how to use it for navigation. I'll need guidance on this aspect of the project, perhaps more than the robot will need.

The goal of my project is to sit in the office and watch this robot circle the building to 4 GPS waypoints.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-02-11 14:18
    Would this robot be the one?

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/f9q6UOHRMMaMz4ZAnrnp0A?feat=directlink

I was being "hush" about the wireless stuff.. but since you mentioned it.
    Is there any data you can provide on a release date for a product there? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2009-02-12 03:55
    OBC, Ken:

Just got a look at the pic of the robot.
    Gotta have the Xbee code!

p.s. Glad you got the connector solution, Ken.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-02-12 04:11
    OBC,

See page 14 of this thread - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=654636

The Ping))) brackets are on page 16.

This is Ken's baby...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 2/12/2009 4:48:32 PM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-02-12 04:44
    OBC said...
    I was being "hush" about the wireless stuff.. but since you mentioned it.
    Is there any data you can provide on a release date for a product there? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Just because you got to see the inside of electronics Mecca (Parallax) doesn't mean you have to keep secrets! [noparse]:)[/noparse] Anyway, I don't think it's a potential product, especially since they require a license to operate.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=759557
    edited 2009-02-12 14:44
    SRLM said...

Just because you got to see the inside of electronics Mecca (Parallax) doesn't mean you have to keep secrets! [noparse]:)[/noparse] Anyway, I don't think it's a potential product, especially since they require a license to operate.

Don't be so sure about that.. There are a lot of radio amateurs out there..
    I need to go back and re-test.. I tried to take it cold without opening the book, and would
    have passed if it hadn't been for the antenna wavelength questions..

Yes, I did get to see several new products, [noparse]:)[/noparse] and was told to use my own digression
    regarding my sharing what I saw. I figure I'll let Ken and others take lead on the
    release of that information. If they post something, I'll share more. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I will share this.. If you haven't considered the "technicians" HAM license, you might
    want to study up on it. You might miss out on little fun down the road. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 2/12/2009 2:50:17 PM GMT
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2009-02-12 22:55
    OBC said...
    If you haven't considered the "technicians" HAM license, you might
    want to study up on it. You might miss out on little fun down the road. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm ready...bring it on jumpin.gif

de VE1RLL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob