Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
new user of basic stamp — Parallax Forums

new user of basic stamp

jatkjatk Posts: 4
edited 2009-02-18 22:57 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all
I am a new user of basic stamp, so please if somebody can help me.
I have a project there I will have to know in with direction·I see with a camera.
I can not use any magnetic sensor because i will look down in a 20 meter long pipe, sometimes of steel ( the pipe is vertical).
I can calibrate the camera (in witch direction it points) before I send it down in the pipe.
Then I will know the new direction when·I rotate the camera down in the pipe.
Is there any how can help me with a program to and what device is best to go on.

Anders

Post Edited By Moderator (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 2/19/2009 5:25:39 PM GMT

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-02-09 17:28
    Please use the pencil icon to the top right of your message to edit and add a subject so others will know what your message is about. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-02-09 21:06
    if you use a servo, you can set up a servo with a pot and make the pot go in the direction that the camera is going, if a servo wont work, you could also use a motor and gear assembly with a pot feedback and have the same pot setup for the master and slave setup, this will give you definite positioning, if you need to go more than the 200+ deg rotation of a pot, you could use some type of encoder on a motor and gear setup and use the debug window to show the degrees that it has traveled so you could get a idea of where it is, however the resolution may be 5-20 degrees off depending on your encoder.
  • ultimateremedyultimateremedy Posts: 29
    edited 2009-02-17 09:02
    Hi
    Did you find any solution? if you did Please share.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    An hour's contemplation is better than a year's adoration.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2009-02-17 12:31
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2009-02-17 17:19
    How is the camera being put down the pipe? I'm assuming on the end of a cable, yes?

What is the diameter of the pipe?

Regards,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Carl HayesCarl Hayes Posts: 841
    edited 2009-02-17 22:52
    You could shine a polarized light beam down the pipe, and use multiple light sensors with polarizing filters on them, each at some angle to each of the others, and compare the intensities seen by these sensors to determine your angular position.

Or you could put the polarized sources on the camera, shine them up the hole, and do the sensing at the top.

If you're sensing at the top, three light sources could be of three different additive primary colors and you'd merge them and observe the resultant color, which would give complete information.

Or you could use a long Bowden cable from the camera to an angle encoder of some type at the top of the·hole, so that turning the camera would mechanically actuate the detector.

Or you could equip the camera with an encoding gyroscope.

I'm sure there are many other ways to do it.

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    · -- Carl, nn5i@arrl.net
  • jatkjatk Posts: 4
    edited 2009-02-18 20:55
    Hi All
    It is not so easy.
    The problem is, I have the camera in a more than 20 meter cable. ( I can't se down because it can be some small bend of the pipe) When i sink it down in the pipe the camera head are rotating because the wire is not in an right angel.
    I must se how much it rotates while I get it down in the pipe. If I can get a reference position when the camera is up I will have the differences angel when its down and then I can say how many degree offset this will be.
    I can not se anything than a Gyro that can take care of the angel.
    But how to process the signal from the Gyro??

Hope that anyone have a solution for me.

Anders JATK
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-02-18 22:57
    Get a cheapo Cracker Jacks compass and mount it in front of the camera such that you can see the compass reading without blocking to much of your view.