Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No Basic Stamps found MacPro — Parallax Forums

No Basic Stamps found MacPro

cav57cav57 Posts: 4
edited 2009-02-08 15:30 in BASIC Stamp
when trying to run the program i get an error that says No Basic Stamp found.
it give me a yes in Loopback and a Yes in Echo. (how i know its connecting)
but gives nothing in the Device type or Version

Post Edited (cav57) : 2/7/2009 10:06:37 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-07 21:41
    1) You should always add a subject when you start a thread. You can add a subject later by using the pencil icon on the first message of the thread.

2) Is the Stamp powered properly? The Stamp must be working to be able to download a new program or to be identified.
  • cav57cav57 Posts: 4
    edited 2009-02-07 21:52
    I believe the answer is yes. It works on the school lab computer but not on my MacPro
    edited 2009-02-07 22:02
    It could be the USB to serial adapter you're using. Not all of them work for programming Stamps. You didn't say whether your school computer is a Mac or Windows box. In any event, you'll need proper drivers for your USB to serial adapter and you'll need an up-to-date copy of the MacBS2 program. If you're running Windows on your Mac, you'll still need up-to-date I/O drivers.
    edited 2009-02-07 22:07
    I'm using a Belkin F5U409 usb-serial adaptor. I'm running Basic stamp 2.4 on the XP partition on my MAC.
    The Lab computer is a XP desktop.

How can I update the I/O driver?
    edited 2009-02-07 22:15
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the Belkin adapter can be used for programming Stamps.

You can update the I/O drivers by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading a current copy of their I/O driver. You might try using the Windows driver and letting that take over the management of the adapter. You also could try using a Mac driver which would make a com port available to the XP partition rather than the USB device. Exactly how to do this depends on how you're running Windows on the Mac. I use a MacBook and run Windows XP using Parallels Desktop. I use either FTDI-based USB to serial adapters or a Keyspan High Speed Serial Adapter, both of work fine with both the Stamps and Propeller either using Windows or directly on the Mac using MacBS2 and BradC's Spin compiler.

There's a link on Parallax's website to MacBS2, a nice free 3rd party editor/front-end to Parallax's Stamp compiler that runs under the MacOS.
    edited 2009-02-07 22:35
    I use vmfusion to run windows. I've already tried to use the windows drivers, they don't work.

and as for the MacBS2, it gives me an error saying it is unable to move Tokenizer to the folder. and when I try manually there is no folder for MacBS2 in the Library so I can't manually do it like it says to.

could you send me a link to where i could get a usb-serial adapter that would work for programming stamps unlike my Belkin
    edited 2009-02-07 23:00
    I've used VMFusion before successfully with both the Stamp Editor and the Propeller Tool.

This is the Parallax USB to serial adapter that I've used with both MacBS2 and the Stamp Editor under VMFusion:
    www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/List/1/catpageindex/2/ProductID/378/Default.aspx?txtSearch=usb+to+serial&SortField=ProductName%2cProductName
  • CenterlineCenterline Posts: 2
    edited 2009-02-07 23:54
    I'm using MacBS2 on my macpro, with the same USB adapter you linked to (it came with the educational two-pack), but have the same problem connecting as cav57 describes. I can't find mac drivers for the USB adapter, and my mac doesn't notice it at all. I noticed that when the adapter alone was plugged into a USB cable on a windows pc, the device was recognized immediately.

Any suggestions as to where I can find a functional Mac USB driver for the parallax-supplied adapter?
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-02-08 02:28
    You can download the VCP drivers from this page www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232R.htm

FYI the FT232RL is the FT232R in a 28 pin SSOP package, and it's referred to as FT232R on FTDI's website
  • CenterlineCenterline Posts: 2
    edited 2009-02-08 15:30
    Bingo! Thanks, Forrest, that's the one!