Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GUI?? — Parallax Forums

GUI??

TerenceTerence Posts: 1
edited 2009-02-16 19:24 in BASIC Stamp
how can i create a GUI interface to control my Boe bot?

Comments

• Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2009-02-07 18:59
    Here are a couple of ideas...

If you don't mind using Microsoft Visual Basic, you can try some of the ideas/code in this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=764584
    http://www.siskconsult.com/page7.html··Look for Quicktrol operator interface

Depending on your display needs, and assuming you have Microsoft Excel, you can try:·
    PLX DAQ:· http://www.parallax.com/ProductInfo/Microcontrollers/PLXDAQDataAcquisitiontool/tabid/393/Default.aspx
    Stamp Plot Pro:· http://www.parallax.com/ProductInfo/Microcontrollers/BASICStampSoftware/StampPlotSoftware/tabid/481/Default.aspx

I hope this helped!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-02-07 19:06
    A user created GUI has nothing to do with the basic stamp. It's part of whatever programming language you choose to code in. What you should really be concerned about is how to open a com port in a particular language. Personally, I like Java. It's really easy to make a GUI application, and fairly easy to open a com port. However, if you don't know any programming languages (besides PBASIC), then expect to spend several months learning how to program in a new language.
  • dalodalo Posts: 2
    edited 2009-02-13 05:26
    ·SRLM question for you. Ive done a bit of programming in the visual environment, ie c++ and basic studio. Made a few nice panels which do nothing. ·However im a complete novice. What should i be reading or researching to open the ports for interfacing event driven programming??
    Is it a completely different area of software and can it be learnt without taking a 4 year degree???????? Any advice??
    ·
    edited 2009-02-13 06:30
    I believe the visual studios have a block or function to open up a com port (that's the key phrase: "COM port"). The com port is the place where you get and send data from with the microcontroller. The parallax chips appear just like a regular com port, even though they go through USB. It's virtual, but I don't think that matters for you. Anyway, I've been looking for a way to open COM ports with regular C++ code since I don't have VC++, but I haven't really found anything suitable yet. However, in Java, I found a good book called "Building Java Robots".

As with anything, you can learn without formal education. You just need to read. There are lots of beginning programming books, especially for C++ and Java. Take a look online (not at your local bookstore) or at any large electronics store (that has a reasonable programming book section). On the US West coast, we have Fry's. For COM ports in particular, my understanding is that it works just like a stream, so it should (theoretically) be easy.
  • dalodalo Posts: 2
    edited 2009-02-14 05:03
    ·Thanks SRLM. The first time i saw the use of a parallel port was at college. We were using c and windows 95. All you had to do was send the port number and command and the external LEd's lit up. However i was informed that after windows 95 all this changed and there was no direct access. I asked countless people who just couldnt give me an answer and as yet i have found no worthwile book either. In the end i gave up.
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-02-14 06:23
    Hi dalo, the basic Stamp makes extensive use of serial communications for communicating with external devices , look for SERIN and SEROUT in the Pbasic manual and help files.

If you have used Visual C++ you might have noticed a serial port·control in the tool box , setting up communications can be as simple as dragging the control onto a form and writing the code SerialPort1.Open in the code area of a button click event.

If you take a look at the first link Desy2820 posted that thread deals with setting up communications with a Stamp , admittedly it is for Visual Basic but the concept should also be the same for Visual C++.

It won't take four years but it will take a little time to learn , the aforementioned link should give you a quick start.

Jeff T.
  • EzsynnEzsynn Posts: 119
    edited 2009-02-15 04:57
    GUI? Isn't PBASIC 2.5 enough for you?
    You should learn programming using code.
    Because if you do, you get more control over your robot.
    I used GUI, it didn't give the control I wanted over my robot.

So I'd say GUI is just Gooey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BWIN ON DA POWAH WIFIN U!!!
    edited 2009-02-15 05:06
    "GUI" - Graphical User Interface

He's talking about a screen with user elements to control his robot, not program it. The GUI is the part of the program that the user interfaces with (in non-terminal programs). For example, the calculator could have been implemented to be run and used from the command line. Instead, the designers gave it buttons and a nice appearance. That is a GUI. But no, PBASIC is not enough. He'll need a different language.
  • JedJed Posts: 107
    edited 2009-02-16 19:24
    Have a look at processing.org