Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
wire monitoring wth the basic stamp question — Parallax Forums

wire monitoring wth the basic stamp question

firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
edited 2009-02-03 22:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hey,

im making a fire panel, i have zone supervision using RCTIME--where if a pull station wire is removed from my terminal strip, it goes into trouble.

is it possible to program and wire a circuit with the stamp so that if i remove a wire from my bell or strobe, my panel turns on a trouble led like the zone circuit?

thanks,
chris.

Comments

• remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-02-03 09:04
    it would be easy to use a SPDT relay between the strobe and the supply voltage, the strobe should be grounded, and if you wire the NO side of the relay to the basic stamp pin, or even use a opto isolator for safety with a relay and the pins that control the output could be set for input when there is not a output and would monitor for a low condition with a 10k pull up resistor.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2009-02-03 16:12
    A question, do you mean when the bell is ringing or when it is not ringing? Same question applies to the strobe.

If you want to know if the bell or strobe is actually functioning, a current sensor is what you need. If you want to know if the wire is simply disconected, that is a different thing. Tell us more about what you need to do.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
    edited 2009-02-03 22:59
    I need to be able to monitor the circuit when the alarms are not activated. Ex: when the bell and strobes are off, if I disconnect the wire, the panel goes in trouble--this is used to alter any problems in the system--a real fire panel does this.