Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Professional Development Board Connectors — Parallax Forums

Professional Development Board Connectors

Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
edited 2009-02-02 01:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
· I just recently got the Professional Development Board and was wondering what the RJ-11 and RS-32DCE connectors can be used for? Any examples or projects? I am kind of at a loss of what to do with them.

Can you plug a mouse or keyboard expansion·into them.
Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Dan Taylor

Post Edited (Dan Taylor) : 1/31/2009 10:51:39 PM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-02-01 01:51
    Dan, if you look at the board you will see a row of sockets behind these connectors that will allow you to hook them up in any configuration you want. If you need to connect say a 1-wire device that has a rj-11 connector on it already that is where you would plug it and then you would run jumpers where needed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2009-02-01 04:31
    Actually, they can be very flexable off board connectors. I needed to hook up a remote temperature detector to help a student with a science fair project. I had a spare sht11 chip (not the module that Parallax sells) that uses a 4 wire interface. I wired it to a phone extension cable with an RJ11 connector. Seems with setting the jumpers on the RJ11 interface on the PDB, it was easily connected. I've also used the RS232C interface on more occasions than I can count. If you ever look at X10 devices to control modules plugged into you house wiring, these will be VERY USEFULL.
  • Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
    edited 2009-02-01 23:22
    Can you give me an example of anything that can me incorporated through these connectors? Such as a mouse or joystick or keyboard.
    Thanks both of you for replying!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-02-02 01:59
    They are just connectors. Anything you could incorporate on the breadboard can be used with these connectors providing they 'fit'

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen