Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2.3.9 & 2.4.2 not identifying BS2SX — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2.3.9 & 2.4.2 not identifying BS2SX

Leonard HLeonard H Posts: 2
edited 2009-01-31 22:15 in BASIC Stamp
I'm new to this forum group, so I wil try to be brief. I just received a Boe-Bot kit w/ BS2SX chip and Board for my electronics course and the instructor briefly explained about mounting the chip and installing the software. I followed the book's directions carefully and I tried the run/identify process on two different computers one w/ serial to serial cable, and one w/ USB to Serial cable and I get "Yes" in both columns of the Com windows on both Laptops (one Win98SE the other XPP)·but no detection of the·Stamp Bs2sx on either computer screen.· I've installed all the correct software up to the Identify point and did the troubleshooting in the back of the book but can't figure out what's wrong unless the BS2SX chip is bad.· What else can I try??
Leonard H

Comments

• QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2009-01-31 21:07
    Can you confirm your supply is OK ? Just looking at the Kit it has a battery pack .. requiring 4 AA's = 4x1.5v cells = 6v ... Are you using Ni-cad (rechargeables) ?? - ·they usually have a nominal cell voltage of approx 1.2v (slightly higher when fully charged)·but·4x1.2 = 4.8v·=> not sufficient..

Have you connected anything to the stamp PCB? If so disconnect everything - connect the battery pack - switch on and try to connect again.

If we had a little more detail it could help diagnose better.

Rgds,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Those who can, do.Those who can’t, teach.

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 1/31/2009 9:28:21 PM GMT
  • Leonard HLeonard H Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-31 21:32
    Thanks, John
    Sorry I did not check the power levels of the battery pack first, since it was a new kit to me I thought the batteries were new as well. My mistake. I snapped in a 9V battery on the Boe-Bot board and it was indentified right away. I guess I will go back to the book and continue through the rest of the steps.· Thanks for helping this newbie. If you have any more helpful ideas or beginner steps, please feel free to post them.
    Thanks again all.· Leonard H
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2009-01-31 22:15
    Leonard,
    Great news .... enjoy it. If you get stuck - this forum has outstanding members always willing to help - feel free to ask .. before long you will,no doubt, be able to answer questions ..

Rgds,
    John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Those who can, do.Those who can’t, teach.