Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Memory Stick Data Logger — Parallax Forums

Memory Stick Data Logger

JHRRJHRR Posts: 19
edited 2009-02-16 18:01 in BASIC Stamp
·Hello.
······· I am looking for help on the memory stick. I have all the information that Jeff.T put out
·
and I think he did a great job. However, I still need some help in working·this out.

I have a data logger with the BS2SX Stamp and·I am trying to download·it to a Thumb·drive.········

So for I haven't had much luck. The problem is there is not much information on this Unit. The data logger
··
takes up almost all my memory in·6 slots. I canno't find any information on the Memory logger that dumps

data to the logger. The information that I have found is a sequence to be typed into the logger.

What I need is something that is automatic when I plug the thumb drive into the memory stick.

I would very much appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thank you

JHRR...

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2009-01-28 19:13
    Hi JHRR, the following link has all the information needed to run two test programs for the logger.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/datalogger/List/1/ProductID/434/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Most of what I have mentioned in posts , connections and code , is just the way I like to do things and is better suited to the BS2px. For starters if I were you I would take a close look at the aforementioned link and its examples plus the VDAP firmware manual on the same page. You probably have a specific task in mind , if possible try and write the code you need then post it back here if you need a little help with it. Bear in mind that one of the main differences in the code you will see is that the various Stamp modules each require a different value for the bad baud rate setting, something that can easily be overlooked and will trip you up.

Jeff T.
  • JHRRJHRR Posts: 19
    edited 2009-01-28 20:25
    Hello Jeff:

Thanks for the advice. I am working on the code and I will let you know when I am finished.

Also thanks for the quick response.

JHRR
    edited 2009-01-28 20:29
    Hello Jeff:

Thanks for the advice. I am working on the code and I will let you know when I am finished.

Also thanks for the quick response.

JHRR
    edited 2009-01-29 03:06
    SLRM:

·······Thanks for the Informatin.

······· JHRR.
  • uxoriousuxorious Posts: 126
    edited 2009-01-29 09:00
    Not sure if people have had the same issue with the datalogger, but I have the Vinculum Vmusic2 which uses most of the same firmware set and I had lots of problems due to incompatible USB drives. Of the 7 in my arsenal, 3 worked flawlessly and the other 4 would not work or caused intermittent functionality issues. My 2GB Sandisk Cruzer worked perfectly but my 2GB PNY and Memorex drives would not even initialize.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ~~ dRu ~~
    edited 2009-01-29 14:18
    uxorious:
    I have had the same problem with Toshiba (4GB) It will not work.

Aslo, the Lugar Drive's dosen't work either.

SanDisk Cruzer works fine. I have a PNY (1GB) that also works fine.

JHRR
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-02-02 16:59
    JHRR,

Looking at your original message it is hard to understand how the code could be so large. I recently submitted an article to a magazine for publication. The article is based on our GPS Module and Datalogger Module. I can’t post any code yet as the article hasn’t been published, but I can tell you that it logs coordinates in KML format and once complete the USB drive can be plugged into a PC and the file can be double-clicked and will open Google Earth and show everywhere you had been. This entire program was written on a BS2. Memory was 99% however had it not been for all the KML header data the code itself would have only taken up 73%. 26% of the memory was text data in XML format. That was after being compacted as much as possible. So I am confident that the BASIC Stamp can more efficiently utilize the resources of the Datalogger module. If you have any questions, let me know. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2009-02-02 18:52
    Chris, sounds good.

Will you let us know when and where it will be published...

Thanks

Chet
    edited 2009-02-02 19:28
    When available the project will show up as new under the Completed Projects forum. In the interim if you have any specific questions about using the device feel free to post them here and I will try and answer them. I am very familiar with this device and its use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2009-02-05 23:56
    Hi Chris,

Any ideas on the comments here about only some brands of USB drive working with the datalogger ?

Seems a shame if thats the case.

Regards, Chris, Western Australia...
    edited 2009-02-06 16:42
    Always try the latest firmware if you’re having a problem. Of course, this doesn’t take away from the fact that due to being an integrated device I’m sure the Vinculum deals with the communication on the lowest level commands, which I would be willing to bet some drives aren’t supporting.

I liken this to keyboards and mice…people just tend not to notice that issue as much. But we’ve seen plenty of keyboards and mice that work fine with a PC, but not with the Propeller Objects. Not all manufacturers follow the same standards for communication. In some cases it is a hardware support issue…for example, some Secure thumb drives aren’t properly detected unless their drivers are installed. I would expect these devices won’t work at all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2009-02-16 06:12
    Thanks Chris,

I guess we just have to live with that then, no problems.
    The sad bit is I would really like to use some of them in a commercial application we have, but its too risky if all of a sudden we cant get compatable usb drives etc,

anyway, thanks again for your reply,

Cheers,
    Chris, West Oz...
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2009-02-16 18:01
    Chris (W.Oz),

I don't think it is necessary to be pessimistic about sourcing compatible USB drives. While it is certainly a good idea to check any drive you are going to use before heading out for long trip into the bush, or the boonies, I'd say that failure to work is the exception and there are plenty of major brands that consistently work well. My own favorite, due to its small size and waterproof construction, is the KINGMAX "super stick".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com