Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Did I buy this well? — Parallax Forums

Did I buy this well?

elioteliot Posts: 5
edited 2009-01-28 04:56 in BASIC Stamp
·HI, I'm a 13 year old student and I've just taken robotics as my hobby.
By taking advice from various sites and books, I've been informed
that the Parallax Boe Bot-USB Full Kit is the best robotics kit for the
COMPLETE beginner on robotics. So, I've decided to
give it a try and have purchased the Parallax Boe bot.
But then... when I visited this site a minute ago,
I·found out that the complete beginner's robotics kit
was the Basic Stamp2 Discovery Kit (or something like that , the one that costs a 160 bucks).
That's why right now, I'm really worrying if I made the right choice
getting the boe bot as my complete(please excuse my emphasis on the word "complete)·beginner's robotic kit.
The main question is, did I make a right choice in buying
the boe bot as my beginner robotic' kit?
And if I didn't, what product should I have bought?
I mean, I'm a kid who knows absolutely
nothing about electronics, mechanics, programming, and basic robotics.
Thank you!

ps. (please answer this) right now, I have the book "robotics with the boebot" and "
getting started in electronics." I'm thinking of buying "whats a microcontroller?" before
reading "robotics with the boe bot."· Is this a good choice? Thank you
Also, can you guys recommend some beginner mechanism,programming,or electronics book?
Thank you!

·

Comments

• MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2009-01-28 03:59
    Don't worry, Parallax will work with you. Also, you have so many days to return the merchandise for a complete refund, I believe. Just ask for help and you will get it.
  • elioteliot Posts: 5
    edited 2009-01-28 04:12
    thanks, but where do I get the help?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-01-28 04:48
    "What's a Microcontroller?" is a good beginning. Make sure you've downloaded copies of other references. You should have the "Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual". Many of the parts that come with the Discovery Kit also come with the BoeBot. You can also get most of them at RadioShack like different colored LEDs and some resistors and capacitors. You don't necessarily need the exact same parts either.

The Discovery Kit is mostly the same Stamp and the same Board of Education as comes as part of the BoeBot, but you got wheels too.

Start going through the experiments and exercises for the BoeBot and come back with specific questions when you have them and you can't find the answer in the texts.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-28 04:56
    No need to return the BOE-BOT. It has everything that you need to learn robotics. The What's a Microcontroller kit is more focused on different electronic prinicples: certainly useful, but not as fun as the BOE-BOT. Personally, I like the BOE-BOT more than the WAMC. The boe bot allows you to experiment in all sorts of applications, the most notable including movement. I highly recommend that you get a copy of the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference manual, and that you take a look at the What's a microcontroller book. These two books (and all the other Parallax introductory Stamps in Class) are available for free download from their website.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to post them on the forums. Just make sure to put it in the correct section, and you'll get focused help.

As for beginning electronics books, read through the parallax stuff first. It doesn't really matter which you start with (Robotics with BOE-BOT or WAMC), just be sure that you understand everything before you build on it.

Edit: I get beaten to the punch again [noparse]:)[/noparse]