Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Finished... next project — Parallax Forums

Finished... next project

Jimi FreemanJimi Freeman Posts: 46
edited 2009-01-29 02:06 in BASIC Stamp
I have finished all of the boe-bot related projects several times. I would like to go to the next step, and build/prototype my own circuit and program it. What parts do I need to order, if I wanted to start building my own? IE: ability to connect serial/usb to a breadboard and have it program my basic stamp.. etc? I want to order all of the parts soon and start learning.

Comments

• $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-01-25 04:50
    Jimi Freeman

Take a look at the OEMBS2, It has a serial DB9 port built in. with this and a bread board You have the whole setup.!

If nothing else take a look at the RS232 circuit on the OEMBS2. this can be used in Your project.

If Your set on USB, Then the "USB to RS232" converter can be used. Or You can look up ( MAX232 ) This is a FTDI chip, Their are others from FTDI to look at.

____________$WMc%_______________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • Jimi FreemanJimi Freeman Posts: 46
    edited 2009-01-25 06:02
    Thanks! I think this will really help me understand the circuitry and science behind robotics/electronics. The boe-bot is a good start, but the entire board is pre-assembled.. I will defineitly get one of these kits! Thanks. Are they fairly easy to put together and install? Is there a no-solder breadboard version?

Post Edited (Jimi Freeman) : 1/25/2009 6:12:18 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-25 06:27
    I like the professional development boards (both PPDB and PDB). It makes things easy to design, and more fun too.
    edited 2009-01-25 06:30
    Cool! I am thinking about building http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerProgrammingKits/tabid/144/CategoryID/20/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/415/Default.aspx next. It is the breadboard propeller intro kit. It allows you to start seeing how the components go together etc. Like right now, I have no idea how the pre-assembled portion of the board on my boe-boe works. This is going to be a great learning experience
    edited 2009-01-25 07:21
    Note that the Propeller and the BS2 are completely different beasts, so it will be a clean slate again. Still, go for it. I must admit, I'm slightly jealous. Parallax just came out with the new book for the propeller, after I got the kit. Admittedly, it was months ago and it's available online, but a nice printed copy is good to have. Well, good luck on your programming adventures.
    edited 2009-01-28 01:14
    I am going to order this kit this weekend. http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/PropellerProgrammingKits/tabid/144/CategoryID/20/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/415/Default.aspx .. After building and mastering it, can the prop chip be swaped w/ a basic chip in this circuit?
    edited 2009-01-28 03:39
    With a little work, yes. You'll need to change the pinout to match the BS2, and you'll need to come up with some sort of way to program the BS2 chip. But in short, the BS2 will fit on the breadboard.
    edited 2009-01-28 13:26
    Oh ok, I wasnt sure if that kit would come with a method for programming the bs2... what would i need?
    edited 2009-01-28 17:12
    If you have a serial port you need to breadboard a programming setup with a serial port plug that you can plug the cable into. If you don't have a serial port, you need to do all that and have a USB to serial converter. Take a look at the schematic posted. It's not that difficult, you just need a plug.

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/boards/BS2CarrierBdSchem.pdf
  • CoffeeAddictCoffeeAddict Posts: 3
    edited 2009-01-28 19:51
    I looked at the schematic for programming board, but I also saw one on the parallax website that had a USB plug.· I would rather have that than a serial port.· However, there is an ic on the board that I can't tell what it is.· It just says U1.· Does anyone know what ic it uses?· Or have a schematic for a board with a usb plug?
    edited 2009-01-28 21:32
    The BS2 must be programmed with a serial connection. The USB plug simply converts the USB signals to serial signals, and vice versa.
    edited 2009-01-28 21:54
    Also, does parallax sell the serial programmer? Im not sure what I need?
    edited 2009-01-29 02:06
    The serial programmer is built into the module. All you need (to program from a USB port) is:

A USB to Serial converter (parallax)
    A Serial plug with wires sticking out. You can either cut a cable and strip the wire, or do some fancy soldering to get there.
    Some spare jumper wires.

Replicate the setup on the link that I posted above, then plug the USB to serial into your serial port.
    Program with BS Editor.