Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Card Reader???? — Parallax Forums

RFID Card Reader????

relengerrelenger Posts: 11
edited 2009-01-25 02:00 in BASIC Stamp
Just woundering... maybe i dont understand how it work's
Could i put the reader in my car door and the card in my wallet then swipe my wallet next to the spot where the reader is and unlock and my car door? Could i also put a Reader under the cup holder so when i get in the car and put my wallet(CARD) in the cup holder it would be like putting the key in the ignition? Could this be wired up to work or do i got the hole card reader thing wrong?
Also if i used a reader in the car door im guessing it wont work through metal? id have to fab up a plastic square and mold it into the door so there's no metal between the reader and the card???
I build show car's and love electronic's, how ever im new to building your own electronic's.... please help

Post Edited (relenger) : 1/25/2009 1:02:58 AM GMT

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2009-01-25 00:59
    Sure, it's possible. I wouldn't want it on the ignition, what if it malfunctions? Could really suck to have the engine die on ya. Perhaps have the card activate the ignition and allow the key to work? And I'd keep the original key lock working for sure, at least on the passenger door.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • relengerrelenger Posts: 11
    edited 2009-01-25 01:03
    Well i always would have my remote keyless entry... but if the car did die the door pops would be out too so....... so the hole idea would work? cool...... ill have to order a reader and card..... time for some fun
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-25 02:00
    I'm not sure that it would work through the door. There's lots of metal there to deflect the signal, and the RFID system uses passive tags, so their transmit power is pretty low. You'll want to test before you go too far.

Note that you'll need some sort of microprocessor to interpret the signal and determine what to do. I don't know how the door lock mechanisms work, but you could probably bypass them by hooking up to one of the door switches (that control all the locks). Just be sure that if you have an alarm in your car that you can enable/disable it with some sort of electrical signal.