Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stache on USB Stamp? — Parallax Forums

Stache on USB Stamp?

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2009-01-24 18:13 in BASIC Stamp
The Stache is a tiny indispensable black box (nearly the same size as a 9-volt battery),
capable of holding 15 programs, each or several of which can be selectively loaded
into Basic Stamps. This is a remarkable product!

attachment.php?attachmentid=58190
Stache connects to SERIAL boards. What about USB?

It was brought up, in this thread
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=765140
that a Stache is designed for serial use, not USB, when connecting to the Stamp.

The Stache manual confirms its intended use as a serial device. As of this posting
there is no USB version Stache.

As we are a group of thinkers, hackers, experimenters, and designers, the question
of "How to connect the Stache to a USB Stamp Board?" remains.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 1/24/2009 5:58:51 AM GMT
296 x 223 - 13K

Comments

• marzec309marzec309 Posts: 146
    edited 2009-01-24 05:46
    With a custom cable after the FTDI Chip.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-01-24 05:59
    Schematic? Cable details? Project examples or referrals?
    Any changes in software necessary? Consider that someone
    will do this project and describe how to accomplish this goal.

humanoido
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-24 06:07
    I think I mentioned it on the other thread, but you can just bypass the USB part (right?). Since all the FTDI chip does is convert USB to serial, it would be pointless to convert serial to USB and back to serial. Take out the middle man... You'll probably need a small board to put various passives on, and a way to get a reliable connection to appropriate stamp pins, but it shouldn't be that hard.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2009-01-24 18:13
    Humanoido, Thanks for the kind works about the Stache. I think SRLM is on track for the easiest method. Like the Pro development boards that have both the USB and serial interfaces, the serial interface bypasses the FTDI chip.

One thing that makes this difficult to do simply by adding an FTDI chip is that the Stache has to emulate a Stamp in both directions. That is, when you connect the Stache to your PC, it is a DCE device and receives the DTR reset pulse and data on its DCE pins. But then when the Stache is in the field, it has to emulate a PC, so it acts as a DTE device and transmits and receives on the opposite pins than it used when it was DCE. That dual function is taken care of by circuitry around the SX microprocessor and uses the fact that the SX pins can be both inputs and outputs. That would take extra crossbar switching to implement with an FTDI chip.

I should add that the FTDI chip would have to act as a USB slave in one direction and as USB master in the other. I think the FTDI or Vinculum chip is capable of that, but it is more involved than acting in the more familiar role of slave alone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com

Post Edited (Tracy Allen) : 1/24/2009 8:41:29 PM GMT