Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
This Weekend's Project : Using A Stamp To Read Another Stamps DEBUG Output — Parallax Forums

This Weekend's Project : Using A Stamp To Read Another Stamps DEBUG Output

John BurrowJohn Burrow Posts: 27
edited 2009-01-24 03:09 in BASIC Stamp
All,

I have several Stamps working together, and I often move·my PC connection from·one Stamp to another so I can see the DEBUG output. This is getting tedious.

One of·my Stamps drives a large LCD (7" diag) display, so I'd like to display·the other Stamp(s) DEBUG output on the LCD.

Can I·connect the PCO/SOUT on the Super Carrier to an input pin on the Stamp that has the LCD? and then use·SERIN·to read the other Stamp's DEBUG·output?

This may be a completely looney idea as I've only had 4 cups of coffeee so far today...

Thanks
John Burrow
San Diego

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-23 23:13
    John,

The problem with doing this is there is a lot of data sent in the DEBUG screen. Your BASIC Stamp would not know what data it was getting and how it was formatted. For an SX chip it could handle the data one byte at a time, but at 9600bps the BASIC Stamp won’t be able to deal with a stream that fast. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • rixterrixter Posts: 95
    edited 2009-01-24 00:37
    John,

Is this a matter of convenience or functionality? Is there some reason other than displaying DEBUG output that you are doing this? They have those A-B-C-D switch boxes where you should be able to connect four (or maybe more), DB9 connections (from your Stamps), that go to one destination (your PC). Then you can switch between them manually without manipulating connections.

One example: http://www.trianglecables.com/db9-4-m.html
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2009-01-24 01:17
    You can use a normal serial connection to make the stamps talk to a single master stamp, and then have the master display the info on the LCD or send the info to a connected computer
    via DEBUG.
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2009-01-24 03:09
    John, are you looking for a project or a solution?

Evol Bay Link

These are battery [noparse][[/noparse]or wall wart] powered and have a 'dumb terminal' program build into them.

I used to use them [noparse][[/noparse]still have a couple around somewhere] to work on old school 'main frame' systems back in the day.

Or go wireless ... Bluetooth RS-232

I typically just use a single pin and send my debug info to a serial LCD module

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Smile ... It increases your face value!

Post Edited (MrBi11) : 1/24/2009 3:23:35 AM GMT