Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID — Parallax Forums

RFID

Jimi FreemanJimi Freeman Posts: 46
edited 2009-02-01 19:29 in BASIC Stamp
Do they RFID readers from parallax work with reading these type of devices?

1346.jpg

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-22 01:44
    If you read the documentation for the RFID reader it says what format and frequency it reads. You will need to determine if that is the same as the device pictured.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-01-22 03:40
    i think that is a HID brand keyfob, but the only problem is reading the key, then decrypting, not to mention the fact that if your not carefull you may accidently reprogram or erase your fob and if it is something for work or your apt. you may have a hard time explaining how it got erased. you may also have issues if you do "read" the fob of actualy doing something with the data, you may not even be translating it right.
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-01-22 03:43
    btw i think it is a 125kz fob with 85 bits of info and up to 137 billion codes, but good luck trying to program it.
  • Jimi FreemanJimi Freeman Posts: 46
    edited 2009-01-22 12:13
    Thanks, unfortunately my reader didn't pick anything up when trying to scan it.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2009-01-22 12:28
    The Parallax RFID reader doesn't write does it? ·shocked.gif
  • RPrattRPratt Posts: 19
    edited 2009-02-01 03:47
    I have started playing with the RFID stuff myself for an application I am working on. I am a security integrator and do design/layout of access control systems for large campuses, so I am used to dealing with regular factory readers. from what I have seen of the specs, yes the HID keyfob "should" work with the reader (it runs on the correct frequency). I have never heard of a reader from any manufacturer that operates in that band writing over a passive prox card before. biggest headache you will have is getting the format string for the keyfob. without it, the reader wont know how to handle it. HID can get you that information, or if you have access to someone in the industry you can have them run a hyperterminal session on a regular access control system, swipe your card and get the result that way. hope this helps.
  • Jimi FreemanJimi Freeman Posts: 46
    edited 2009-02-01 15:26
    RPratt, thanks. I had tried using it w/ my key fob and nothing came on the screen. Wasn't sure if it was a different protocol or frequency. Someone told me that proximity readers worked differently than the RFID tags that come w/ the kit.
    edited 2009-02-01 19:25
    yes and no. "traditional" prox readers that you would see used in access control are wired a little different (voltage, ground, clock in, clock out, LED control and generally a tamper) but the field generated is the same. standard prox cards running at 125Khz are generic and can generally be used on any system as long as the software knows how to read the tag ID string. Indala cards are a little different, even though they operate on the same frequency (string differers for security purposes). from what I have read of the RF reader from Parallax, and the few product demo sheets for projects, you have to tell the stamp what it is looking for, or direct it back to a PC application with this built into it. the tags that are sold through Parallax (I will assume) use a key that the reader already has hard built into it. good luck. would enjoy seeing how your project works out.
    edited 2009-02-01 19:29
    this link from HID may help shed some light for you too:

http://www.hidglobal.com/documents/howHIDcardIsRead_wp_en.pdf