Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pbasic without hardware — Parallax Forums

Pbasic without hardware

JerrydJerryd Posts: 4
edited 2009-01-23 02:44 in BASIC Stamp
Ok I was able to download and install the "BASIC Stamp Windows Editor version 2.4.2" thanks
to Franklin. Now what can I do with this without any hardware.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-01-21 02:12
    Well, for $50, you could buy an "OEM" BS2 -- that has its own DB-9 connector. You'll need a wall-wart supply to power it. Since everything else is free, that shouldn't be a big cost.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-21 04:24
    You can write programs and make sure they compile, you can read the reference files and look at the example programs to see how it should be done and if you don't understand something chek the reference on that command. There are also a whole library of Nuts and Volts articles on the stamp and Parallax's other chips.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-01-21 04:27
    allanlane5 said...
    Well, for $50, you could buy an "OEM" BS2 -- that has its own DB-9 connector. You'll need a wall-wart supply to power it. Since everything else is free, that shouldn't be a big cost.
    Actually, $31.

The $50 OEM module is the BS2SX, but you can get a regular BS2 for just $31. Of course in either case you have to be comfortable soldering it together, but they're not that hard.
  • servelloservello Posts: 113
    edited 2009-01-21 17:49
    Franklin said...
    You can write programs and make sure they compile . . .

How can you do this without a stamp connected?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-21 18:48
    Press F7 (I think that's right I use more than one IDE and sometimes get them mixed up)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-01-21 18:56
    at the top of the basic stamp editor there are the five buttons in the window with the "run" button, first is the "identify" button used to find a stamp on a com port, second is the "syntax check" , this tokenizes the program to make shure that your program is running ok and it is all programed correctly, the third shows how much memory your program will fill up, the fourth is the run button, this makes everything happen at once. fifth button will open a debug window so if you connect a stamp with a debug window function so you can use the debug window without having to run the whole program over, also handy if you have the program strobe the file name to the debug window after restart of the bs2 so in the future you can pull the appropriate program back up.
  • servelloservello Posts: 113
    edited 2009-01-21 20:13
    Excellent.
    So I just need to do a "Syntax Check" and this will inform me if the code will compile.
    This is quite handy while working on code before actually loading it into a Stamp.

Thanks Stephen and remmi870.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-01-23 00:59
    Hey Jerryd,

Have a look here and try to pick up a good deal on some hardware at Parallax's E-Bay site http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/pbasic1_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-01-23 02:44
    Jerryd

I'm with Allanlane5 and the OEMBS2

Instead of soldering in the right Angel male SIP header, Replace it with a female SIP header.
    From this female header You can jumper out to a bread board and make many experiments with it.

The female SIP headers can be found on the Parallax store web page along with pretty much all of the needed IC's for the experiments in the StampWorks Manuel.

___Welcome to the club____________$WMc%______________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············································ BoogerWoods, FL. USA