Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp II and SPI ( Serial Peripheral Interface) — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp II and SPI ( Serial Peripheral Interface)

Robert ManiRobert Mani Posts: 7
edited 2009-01-21 18:48 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I want to be able to communicate with an ISD device ( sound recording and playing) part no ISD4003-05 fromWinbond electronics ·using basic stamp II.

One can only control this chip using a micorrocessor and puch buttons is not possible. From an exmapel application I found that there rae four connections between basic stamp II and ISD 4003. They are SSbar ( slave select),MISO ( master input, Slave output), MOSI ( Master output , slave input) and Clock. One can use 4 I/O pins of Basic stamp II to issue commands , read commands, send the clock signal and select devices.·I know about SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT from Basic stamp manual and in the·ISD 4003 manual commands for recording and replay are given. For example for recording here is the sequence of commands

1- Send Power up command 00100(xxxxxxxxxxx) [noparse][[/noparse]Opcode<5 bit> plys Address <11 bits>

2-Wait T PUD ( power updelay ) for this model is 31 msec

3- Send Power up command

4-Wait 2 x T PUD ( power up delay ) , PS: I amnot sure why the power upcommand should be issued twice

5- Send SETREC· commandwith address 00 , 10100 ( A10-A0) , Initiates a Record operation from address < A10-A0>

6- SEnd REC command , 10110·<xxxxxxxxxxx>, records from current address until overflow is reached

Now here comes the question. I have not done extensive programming with Basic stamp and am not sure how I can combine SHIFTIN, SHIFTOUT commands for what is required to control this device.

I write an example program that I thought of , so if anybody can make a suggestion·or correction, it will be great

SSBar· PIN0
MOSI· PIN1
MISO··PIN2
CLK··· PIN3

POWERUP·· CON··· 00100
SETREC····· CON··· 10100
REC··········· CON··· 10110

Main

SHIFTOUT SSbar, CLK, 00100
pause 31
SHIFTOUT SSbar, CLk,00100
pause 62
SHIFTOUT SSBar, CLK, 10100<00>
SHIFTOUT SSbar , CLK, 10110
End

This is the best that I could come up with, Any suggestion to correct this basic stamp program will be great. Is it necessay to define a variable called "counter" and use that in a loop and assign each of the commands to this counter?·( e.g, Counter· VAR byte)or something like that,...

···

Comments

• Robert ManiRobert Mani Posts: 7
    edited 2009-01-21 01:24
    Sorry, forgot to mention that in teh example program of ISD4003 another microcontrller was used but the tech
    support of Winbond confirmed that one can use basic Stamp II as a repalcement. I can provide a sketch of that connection if needed.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-21 18:48
    Robert,

Please read the manual or help file on the SHIFTOUT command. You appear to want to send binary data, but that’s not what you’re sending in the examples you have. You’re sending the decimal equivalent or in the first SHIFTOUT for example, you’re sending a value of one hundred (100) rather than four (4).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering