Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR help — Parallax Forums

IR help

BOB55BOB55 Posts: 36
edited 2009-01-20 02:58 in BASIC Stamp
how would i connect and program a radio shack emitter and detector to work as a·ir sensors? I am trying to make an ir sensor using a radio shack emmitter and detector pair, but i wasn't able to get it to work with the ir programs written for the sumo bots and the boe bots. can someone please help me out?confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Post Edited (BOB55) : 1/19/2009 9:37:20 PM GMT

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-19 20:55
    Take a look at the IR Remote control for BOE-BOT book.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-19 21:28
    Bob,

Your duplicate post was removed. Please do not cross post. In order for others to know how to help you I would suggest editing your message to elaborate on what exactly you mean. Mentioning what you are trying to connect to and what parts you are referring to would help greatly. You can edit your message using the pencil icon to the top right of your message.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-20 02:58
    Many people don't understand the difference between an IR phototransistor (which is the "sensor" or "detector" in the Shack's matched pair, looks like a clear LED with 2 leads) and an IR receiver module (rectangular 3-lead package, either black or metal case). Think of a phototransistor as a solid-state photocell that is particularly sensitive to IR. Not exact, but close. Properly used, it works as a light sensor, sensitive to any light, both IR and ambient visible light.

An IR receiver module contains a phototransistor plus LOTS of extra circuitry to filter and integrate a very specific modulated signal, usually on a 38 kHz IR carrier. Typical remote controls and the BoeBot/Scribbler object detectors use this 38 kHz system. It is better-suited for working in real-world conditions where the ambient light level may be very dark or very bright.

Bottom line: the phototransistor sensor you got from the Shack's matched pair is NOT a substitute for a 38kHz IR receiver module. The Shack does carry those, but they cost more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."