Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using basic stamp 2 for power distrubution in a car? — Parallax Forums

using basic stamp 2 for power distrubution in a car?

DHudsonDHudson Posts: 2
edited 2009-01-20 03:40 in BASIC Stamp
a friend was telling me on day he wanted a seamless power distribution system that didn't use fuses or relays. he showed me the motec pdm 16 module, but it cost around $2000. is it possible to use the basic stamp to control headlights, power windows, etc... from a 12 volt system

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-18 02:27
    I wouldn't think it would be safe without fuses and you will need some form of power switching but "it is possible"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-18 16:21
    Even the bailoout-worthy Detroit geniuses would shudder at the mere thought of a high-current (headlights, stereo, etc) electrical system without fuses.

Relays can be deleted. Fuses, I would hope not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • DHudsonDHudson Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-20 03:14
    understandable. whats the most current can a basic stamp take? on the moted pdm 16 it says that it replaces conventional relays fuses and circuit breakers. my friend want something that controls the basics like headlights, turn signals, hazards, rear window defroster, and brake lights. heres the link to the motec pdm 16. http://motec.com/aboutpowerdistribution/powerdistributionoverview/
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-20 03:40
    20 mA per pin max. Total current per 8 pins = 50 mA max. 1 mA=0.001 Amp

It's a 5V controller, not a power switcher. You'll need transistors, SCRs, relays or SSRs to handle automotive power demands, managed & controlled by a Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."