Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bs1usb problem with computer reconizing it as a serial mouse - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

bs1usb problem with computer reconizing it as a serial mouse

2»

Comments

• sumdawgysumdawgy Posts: 167
    edited 2010-02-03 16:25
    ok...I'm just getting back to this problem after being held away from it by some other more pressing issues. It occurs to me that it MIGHT be possible to stop.. (pause if you will) the interpeter chip by disabling the Xtal pathways?

Just wondering then if it will resume properly after being reconnected.
  • kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-02-03 17:30
    I too ran into this problem when using a bs2 with a memsic 2125 accelerator that i had programmed to debug x,y data back to the pc. made a pretty cool accelerator mouse inadvertantly! i could tilt the board different directions to move the mouse, just needed an pushbutton to send a mouse click, i would assume would be a 'cr' or something like that, but·never got that far with it though. i·added a switch input to my code that would allow me to control the debug statement to turn it on or off and that worked great for me. also you can startup bse, with the power off, then as soon as you click 'run' and the bse is trying to locate the stamp, power on the board and it will detect and upload the code. this is how i originally got past this.·
    marzec309 said...
    FYI,

Due too how a computer is programed. If you turn on your computer with your stamp running and sending serial data to it, whether connected via USB or the serial port, it will be recognized as user input device. which almost always shows up as a mouse.
    So if it happens again try disconnecting or power off your bs2 and reboot your computer. You can prevent this from happening by making sure your stamp is not sending data to your computer when you turn it on.
    Post Edited (kf4ixm) : 2/3/2010 5:38:57 PM GMT
    edited 2010-02-10 17:57
    kf4ixm said...
    . also you can startup bse, with the power off, then as soon as you click 'run' and the bse is trying to locate the stamp, power on the board and it will detect and upload the code. this is how i originally got past this.·
    marzec309 said...
    So if it happens again try disconnecting or power off your bs2 and reboot your computer. You can prevent this from happening by making sure your stamp is not sending data to your computer when you turn it on.
    · Ok, so I think my serial adapter is faulty.· It refuses to recognize any of my BS1 units the USB or IC.· I finally got the USB one under my thumb.... the key ended up being hiting "CNTRL-R , return" repetitively immediately after inserting the bs1-USB in a usb slot.· I also set VISTA to run the cpu at 40%.· Hoping that it would slow the background tasks enough that the primary task (stamp programmer) would beat out device detection.

·· It worked...sorta.· I managed to get a simple program (set a pin to out and toggle it in a never ending loop.)· to HALFload b4 i got a confused crash from device manager and the stamp programmer.· Fourtunately after wremoving and rebooting then re-inserting after boot complete....it was docile and responsive.·

· So I'm able to use it again, with the lesson learned burned irreplaceably into my mind.

· Of course, now, I·have a problem not being able to use the bs1-ic units....

sigh.

So..... (technically, a new topic) anyone have any links to a method of testing the signals expected from the serial adapter pins when sending a stream of data from a serial port thru it?
    edited 2010-03-07 01:04
    If anyone cares on this thread......

I just wanted to mention that the Bs1-USB doesn't like power flows that don't origionate thru the USB port.
    making it diffficult to program. I've had some sucesses in operating it with usb power cords/supplies.
    Nothing truly promising.

And programming the bs1-ic usually works better when you remember to power it.

I was a little frustrated and .......