Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Upload or debug existing program with basic stamp 1 — Parallax Forums

Upload or debug existing program with basic stamp 1

KristenKristen Posts: 19
edited 2009-01-17 20:19 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a way to either upload what is on a stamp1 project board·or run it in a debug window without redownloading it?· I know it works and want to confirm the code.

THANKS!

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2009-01-17 17:36
    Short answer: Nope.

Long answer;: Well, you *can* read the eeprom by loading a short program that will dump all the data in the eeprom. However, you will lose the area that the new program is loaded into, and all you will have is the interpreter bytes,not basic code. So, practically speaking, the answer is still no.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • KristenKristen Posts: 19
    edited 2009-01-17 17:42
    Is there a way for me to even see the results of the debug lines in a debug window when the board pwers up without reloading the code? This would enable me to confirm what I need in the code too. Obviously, I'm worried the version I have saved is different that I loaded.
    edited 2009-01-17 17:45
    Sure, just have the Stamp editor open and a debug window opened and any debugs will appear. I always put a debug at the top of every program with the name and version of the program. That way I can always figger out what is loaded.

HTH

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-01-17 18:05
    I have both open and code is working but zero debugs appear in the window. Any ideas?
    edited 2009-01-17 18:23
    If you:

a) Have the programming cable attached, then
    b) Have the Stamp Editor open and a debug window open then
    c) Power up the Stamp

You should see the debugs if they exsist in the program. If not, then there aren't any debugs in the program (ie the program loaded is not the one you think it is), or possibly the programming connection isn't working.Can you identify the Stamp with the identify option? If not, the problem is likely in the cable or comm port.

Jonathan

EDIT: Did you check the battery·if you are using one?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-01-17 18:41
    Okay, thanks for your help. I did all the above, so it's strange.
    edited 2009-01-17 18:43
    If the identify shows the Stamp, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the program you hope it does loaded.

Sorry. [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-01-17 18:45
    how do i check the identify? I am fairly sure of the program since it's running, but if there's something I can check before writing over it, that would be good.
    edited 2009-01-17 19:02
    From the Stamp editor, go to the menu "run" and select "identify". That will tell you if the cable/comm port/Stamp are OK, without erasing it. If the Stamp gets identified, I think you are up a stump.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-01-17 19:09
    It did and lookback and echo were no.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-17 19:11
    Your cable is not working then.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-01-17 19:14
    ?? It lets me download programs okay and debugs work then. Debugs are just not showing when i power up the board without re-downloading the program.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-17 20:19
    OK, then try closing the stamp editor and opening a terminal program like Realterm or Hyperterminal and connecting to the com port your stamp is connected to.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen