Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Works Kit — Parallax Forums

Stamp Works Kit

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2009-01-16 00:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hey everyone,

I have a Board of Education (that I got with·the WAM set), a BOE-Bot and have a Basic Stamp OEM based robot (ChiBot), and a Scribbler.

Recently, I began the move to the Propeller and have a Propeller Professional Development Board, which I love.

I always wanted a Basic Stamp Professional Development Board. Now that the Stamp Works Kit is on sale, I wonder if I would enjoy having this as an addition to my Basic Stamp boards and products. The Stamp Works book looks great and having the Professional Development Board sure might be nice. I guess I remember the old ad, "The one you really want!"

Any comments?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-16 00:27
    I got two of the (now obsolete) Stamp Activity boards a while back:

http://www.robotstore.com/download/3-741_ActivBrdmanual.PDF

http://www.mindresearch.com.hk/product/e27905.htm

They are much smaller than the Professional Development Board (PDB), but I think the intended use is the same, for education and learning. A lot of things are pre-wired and easy to use. But honestly, I played with them for about an hour and never used·them again.·They are useful for seeing how things work, and perhaps learning one particular way to connect switches, but I knew all that already.·They are·too "good" to build permanently into any project, but not useful enough that I need to use them. So in my case, it's in this nether region of useability. I use my BoE and BS2 Homework Board a lot. I wish Parallax would sell the Homework boards individually (instead of 10-packs), they're a great product.

Your PDB has a huge breadboard area that adds great usefulness for electronics experiments. You probably wouldn't build this permanently into anything, either. So I would say this board is particularly useful for learning, especially if you like to tinker, test, debug & optimize·external circuits before making smaller hardwired versions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."