Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Output Directly To A Monitor — Parallax Forums

Output Directly To A Monitor

John BurrowJohn Burrow Posts: 27
edited 2009-01-16 03:48 in BASIC Stamp
It there a way I can get a Stamp's DEBUG (or similar) to output directly to monitor, preferably an old 19" LCD that I have spare.

I have looked·for a Serial monitor to purchase (like the one I had years ago) but I'm not seeing anything available.

My goal is to be able to use the large screen to monitor what's happening with my Stamp, without having to fire up the Windoze PC all the time. I have·4x20 LCD's on several of my Stamps, but sometimes I'd like to see the full DEBUG (or similar) output.

Maybe there's a device out there that will convert the Serial DEBUG output to SVGA (or whatever)

Hopefully you know what I want after all this rambling. I just don't know where to start.

Thanks, John Burrow
San Diego

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-14 21:15
    With the SX video module·you can output text (and some sounds) to an NTSC·TV or monitor. Those are in cheap supply with the shift to HDTV. But the letters are big & blocky, they display in a 16x6 pattern that isn't much better than your 4x20 LCD.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."

Post Edited (erco) : 1/14/2009 9:20:20 PM GMT
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2009-01-15 16:11
    Think about a Propeller. It will do what you want quite nicely. You can get a proto board that has the mounting holes for a VGA plug built in. Then all you'd have to do is write a small program to take serial in from the Stamp.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • jdpetersdocjdpetersdoc Posts: 26
    edited 2009-01-16 03:48
    Yeah propeller is the way to go when you step up to High quailty screens. Keep in mind it not cheap. LOL