Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bs2 + gps programming — Parallax Forums

bs2 + gps programming

nchoukernchouker Posts: 2
edited 2009-01-15 03:41 in BASIC Stamp
hi,
Im a beginner in robotics ,I would like to get an idea on how to make my bs2 + gps actually working together,what is the first step,I would like to get some help on a step by step on how to get it to work where I can see actual gps location and possibly waypoint .
thanksconfused.gif

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-01-14 21:53
    What kind of GPS?

If it outputs NMEA strings through a standard serial output, it's a pretty easy task. If not, it might not be possible. Tell us exactly what kind of GPS you're using.
  • nchoukernchouker Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-15 03:04
    hi,

I have the parallax gps receiver module part#28146. It suppose to fit right on the basic stamp educational board.I have the 3 servo wires to connect the gps receiver to the board,I know parallax offer some kind of a program to download so that gps receiver .is there a program to show my gps·location and also how to make waypoints??cool.gif
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-01-15 03:41
    nchouker said...
    hi,

I have the parallax gps receiver module part#28146. It suppose to fit right on the basic stamp educational board.I have the 3 servo wires to connect the gps receiver to the board,I know parallax offer some kind of a program to download so that gps receiver .is there a program to show my gps location and also how to make waypoints?? cool.gif

The Parallax demo program (from the GPS receiver's product page) uses the "smart mode" to get information from the GPS unit. It sends out commands asking for the various kinds of data (time, latitude, longitude, etc.), and the GPS unit responds to them.

Alternatively you can set the module to standard (raw) mode, in which it automatically sends several standard NMEA strings (GGA, GSV, GSA, and RMC) out at 4800 baud 8N1. You set this mode by grounding the /raw pin. You can learn how to interpret those strings here

home.mira.net/~gnb/gps/nmea.html

As for waypoints, that's something you'd have to implement in software, and I think you'll find that extremely challenging. I'd work on learning the rest of it first. Once you have a good understanding of how the module does what it does, you'll know a lot more about what it would take to make waypoints.