Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax USB Oscilloscope and Windows Vista? — Parallax Forums

Parallax USB Oscilloscope and Windows Vista?

TurkDanTurkDan Posts: 2
edited 2009-01-13 18:45 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi,

I am a teacher and just received the Parallax USB Oscilloscope, Boe-Bot, and Understanding Signals books / kits.· I see that the 5.1.1 Oscilloscope (that is recommended / required for Vista) supposedly doesn't work with the "Understanding Signals" projects.

I guess the short version of my program is two parts: 1) Can I use the oscilloscope under Vista, and 2) can I program the Boe-Bot to do any of the "Understanding Signals" projects?· Or, am I not able to do any of this under Vista?

I've just tried running the ToggleIO.bs2 program, but am not being able to observe any signals on the oscilloscope.· My hunch is that·I am doing something amazingly simple in a wrong way, like hooking up the oscilloscope probes or setting the oscilloscope trigger or other settings.· But, given the statement that 5.1.1 under Vista can't be used for the "Understanding Signals" projects I'm uncertain where the problem might be.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dan

Comments

• TurkDanTurkDan Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-13 18:16
    Well, almost as soon as I had posted that message I got it to work...!· It was that I simply did not have the Oscilloscope looking at the proper USB/COM port.· Once I set that properly it worked.

I am still curious, however, as to what is meant when it says that the Vista version of the Oscilloscope software (currently 5.1.1) doesn't work with the "Understanding Signals" projects...· What is it that "doesn't work"?

Thanks!

Dan
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-13 18:45
    Dan,

The 4.x and 5.x programs were written by different authors using different development tools. The Understanding Signals text has screenshots of the 4.x software which really doesn’t look a lot like the 5.x software. There are even a few functions on the 4.x software covered in the manual which are not available in the 5.x software. This is why we do not list them as compatible. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering