Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Multiple Power Supplies? — Parallax Forums

Multiple Power Supplies?

EschattEschatt Posts: 16
edited 2009-01-13 02:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I have been working on a circuit for the past couple weeks. The result of the comparator is a no voltage in one state and about 7 volts in an other state. The comparator has a separate power source from the BS2. I am relatively new to the basic stamp... when I attach the out put of the comparator to an i/o pin why can't the BS2 tell the difference between the two states (the value goes between 1 and 0)? The BS2 works well with its own power supply, telling between positive and negative. Thanks in advance.
-Eschatt

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-12 23:10
    Two things, you need to have the grounds tied together and you need to limit the voltage into the stamp to a MAXIMUM of 5V.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-01-13 01:55
    Eschatt

I would start with at least a 220ohm series resister and a 5.1 volt zener.The stamp has built in protection, But I don't like to depend on it alone.
    Your binary value of "0" or "1" has a set voltage.If Your using a CMOS device (comparator)this value could be 7 volts for a logic level of "0" or "1" this is 2 volts to many for a TTL device like the BS2

What I'm tiring to say is theirs more to logic than just "0" and "1" .Especially when working with different voltages

______________$WMc%__

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there·········································· E=$WMc%2
  • EschattEschatt Posts: 16
    edited 2009-01-13 02:40
    Lesson learned! All is working well! Thanks for the help and the further insight into the workings of the BS2.
    -Eschatt