Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller + Bluetooth + AT command set — Parallax Forums

Propeller + Bluetooth + AT command set

rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
edited 2009-01-12 16:45 in Propeller 1
Hi Guys,

There have been some very interesting threads about using AT commands over serial lines to control a cell phone for purposes of remote sensing and control... problem is that most of the phones are either locked or antiquated... no cameras for instance.

I recently got a Telit unit from Sparkfun and it works fine... problem is no Propeller on board, the unit is very expensive... and if you want any kind of programming feedback... (forget debugging...if you just wamt feedback) ... then this is the wrong unit... unless you want to buy or build another interface.

The AT command set is not universal... Nokia doesn't seem to use it for instance. But AT commands are fairly common and probably will be around for a while, AND I now have a small library of python programs written to drive the AT command set... so the phone part is not much of an issue.

Most phones have bluetooth but I don't know if any or all of them can actually be controlled through the bluetooth interface...and this info is surprisingly hard to find. Your experience?

The next question is what do I use... From Parallax there seem to be at least two choices... with Bluesmirf appearing to match my needs...is that correct???

Do you have any experience with this unit and the Prop? If there is a bluetooth phone around will bluesmirf find it?

Is there a place for Sparkfun's new $39 serial-to-bluetooth board?

Comments?

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2009-01-12 16:45
    moving over to the sandbox[noparse]:)[/noparse]