Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEPROM Space cut off on BS2sx — Parallax Forums

EEPROM Space cut off on BS2sx

Aaron WallAaron Wall Posts: 31
edited 2009-01-11 22:07 in BASIC Stamp
I have two stamps, a BS2 and a BS2sx. I got the BS2sx because of the increased capacity to hold code.

Now this just started and I've been using this BS2sx for a while. For some reason, even when I write a new program and label it as a BS2sx program, the Basic Stamp Editor (version 2.4 for windows) is telling me that the EEPROM is full with 2k worth of code. As though it has the same capacity as my BS2. That's an 1/8 of what it should be able to hold. Both the program suffix and syntax identifier in the program are both set to BS2sx.

The program I'm writing is right at the 2k mark, I want to keep it around there so I run it on the BS2 for its power saving qualities. But I have NO room for debug commands if I am limited to 2k.

Any one know why it would do that or what I can do to fix it?

-Aaron

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-11 18:07
    The stamps with more than 2K memory have that memory in 2K blocks and you need to read the manual on how to use that additional memory. You can't just write a bigger program and have it work, Read The Manual it will explain it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-11 19:38
    Hint: the command RUN.
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-01-11 19:51
    Because of the way the basic stamp works, it can only support 2k worth of data at a time. However, with the higher basic stamps such as the BS2px, you can add multiple programs. All the RUN command does is let you change from one program to another, with a total of 8 2k programs the stamp can support. One drawback to this is every time you change programs it starts at the beginning. However, if you work with your code you can change a variable in the scratch pad ram (look it up in the manual) and add some code to the beginning of your programming letting it jump to different places depending on the value of the variable. For a better idea of what you can do just look up the run command.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • Aaron WallAaron Wall Posts: 31
    edited 2009-01-11 22:07
    Ok, that answers my question. Thanks.

I guess that I just never had a program go over that limit.