Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I Know It's Crazy..... — Parallax Forums

I Know It's Crazy.....

NavicNavic Posts: 38
edited 2009-01-12 02:43 in BASIC Stamp
Running a Linux kernel on the BS2!! Because Linux can be implemented in embedded systems, why can't it run on a BS2 chip?? Is it possible? Has anyone tried it? What issues arise with porting a Linux kernel to the BS2 architecture? I'm looking for as many details as possible - memory not an issue since EEPROMs can be added, I mean the instruction set specifically. It's time to have the Linux on the BS2, somehow!!

Much thanks,
Navic

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-01-10 03:10
    Sounds like a great project for you. The downside is the speed of the chip and it's ram size. You might be able to do it with another model pic but that wouldn't be a stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-01-10 03:40
    I hate to burst your bubble, but no: it just can't happen — not with PuppyLinux, PicoLinux, or even DamnSmallLinux. The BASIC Stamp has several orders of magnitude fewer resources than it needs to host such a system.

Linux is a great OS for what it does, and the BASIC Stamp is a wonderful controller for what it does, but their destinies can never intertwine as intimately as you propose.

-Phil
  • awesomeduckawesomeduck Posts: 87
    edited 2009-01-10 15:09
    I'm with Phil...no way. Simply not enough memory, even on the P and E versions of the stamp. Why would you want to mess up the elegance of PBASIC with an OS. The whole value of the Basic stamp is that it hides the underlying hardware....the SX chip...and provides a super clean interface to quickly prototype. If you really want to run an OS, then get on the SX, where you have a stack and more room to work.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-01-10 18:53
    PhiPi said...
    ...but their destinies can never intertwine as intimately as you propose.
    I·have much to·learn from PhiPi, in the Tech realm·and also·in the field of eloquent, inspired literary composition. He could have just said "nope, it won't work", but instead, he took the extra time to craft this masterpiece. I wish all my bad news was delivered as thoughtfully. Kudos, Phil!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-01-11 05:07
    Navic

If You want to do something with a computer,Why are You Useing Linux ???

___$WMc%____________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there·········································· E=$WMc%2
  • be80bebe80be Posts: 56
    edited 2009-01-11 05:50
    You could do it with a pic32. You have to have a bare pic make a boot loader make a bus
    for all your do dads . key board monitor disk drive or flash drive. And when you get done you could have got a good ipaq and had Linux on it in a day and not wasted 2 or 3 year with this you get more out of it if you make a stamp work with Linux .You no like a webcam a good printer.All in if was not for Linux I would have never had the first stamp or pic I ran Linux on every thing I could find that had a cpu in it for over 13 years now I think it's the best Os out there But a stamp
    to slow for it and so much better at what it's for Controllers to make you motor move or lite come on and O yes Linux can Talk to it and tell it what to.
  • JamesDoughertyJamesDougherty Posts: 48
    edited 2009-01-12 02:43
    @erco - LOL, I was think the same thing; nice.

@$WMc% - I can think of a few reasons and one major one would be the example of an hardware based firewall, router, etc. They all have HTTP so you can connect to them and configure them. Sorry if I misunderstood.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James Dougherty

Ariel Productions
    http://www.arielproductions.com/