Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mystery 3-pin header on Memory Stick Datalogger — Parallax Forums

Mystery 3-pin header on Memory Stick Datalogger

TWRackersTWRackers Posts: 33
edited 2009-01-09 21:28 in BASIC Stamp
Anyone know what that extra little 3-pin header on the Datalogger is for? The documentation never mentions it.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-08 18:55
    Hello,

There are many features that are part of the Vinculum chip for which we do no necessarily make use of, but for which the PCB reference design includes some support. For example, the Vinculum chip supports two USB drives so the PCB actually has 4 pads for connections. There is also a firmware programming method which requires the Vinculum to be reset. The pin labeled R on that 3-pin header is the Vinculums reset pin. This could be used to force a hard reset of the Vinculum (see the datasheet for more details). I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • TWRackersTWRackers Posts: 33
    edited 2009-01-09 19:57
    Okay, I found the R pin next to the G pin which is very obviously connected to the board's ground plane.· What's the P pin on the other end for?· Its trace ducks under the oscillator can so I'm not certain without ohming it out whether it goes directly to the Vinculum chip, and if so to which pin.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-09 20:20
    The RGP pins are used for reprogramming the Vinculum with new firmware.

The G pin is ground. The R pin is the Reset pin. Hold this low (connect to G) if you want to reset the Vinculum.

The P pin is the Program pin. If this pin is held low at power up or after a reset then the Vinculum is in program mode waiting for new firmware. You would use VPROG to program new firmware into the Vinculum.

I hope this helps.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • TWRackersTWRackers Posts: 33
    edited 2009-01-09 21:28
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    The RGP pins are used for reprogramming the Vinculum with new firmware.

The G pin is ground. The R pin is the Reset pin. Hold this low (connect to G) if you want to reset the Vinculum.

The P pin is the Program pin. If this pin is held low at power up or after a reset then the Vinculum is in program mode waiting for new firmware. You would use VPROG to program new firmware into the Vinculum.

I hope this helps.· Take care.

Ahhhh... I understand.· I did upgrade the firmware on my Memory Stick Datalogger, but I used the other method (put the file on the thumb drive and let the existing firmware find and install it), and it worked like a charm.· But having access to the Reset pin would be handy, because resetting the BASIC Stamp (without powering down and back up) does NOT reset the Datalogger.