Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homework Board to Lynxmotion SSC-32 — Parallax Forums

Homework Board to Lynxmotion SSC-32

jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
edited 2009-01-08 21:20 in Learn with BlocklyProp
How do i connect the Homework Board to the Lynxmotion SSC-32 Servo Board.

Thanks

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-01-08 00:46
    Looking at the schematics, both have female connectors with data out on pin 2, data in on pin 3, and ground on pin 5.· So, you need to make a null* cable.· This way you can comm with the SSC through the HWB programming connector [noparse][[/noparse]SEROUT 16, SERIN 16], but you won't be able to do/use DEBUG at the same time.

If you will need to DEBUG and comm with the SSC, then you will need to make an RS-232 interface and use P0-P15 as you like.

* since it has a male connector on both ends it's technically a null terminal, but proper nomenclature has gone by the wayside, in the name of expediency,·and these are called, just as their female-to-female counterparts, null modem cables.

Post Edit -- Picture added.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 1/8/2009 1:22:28 AM GMT
    313 x 189 - 6K
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2009-01-08 01:09
    PJ Allen,

If you look a little closer at the Lynxmotion SSC-32 Servo Board schematic (http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/data/ssc32sch.pdf), you will notice a TX, RX and Gnd connection on the other side of the RS-232 to TTL level converter. The TX, RX and Grnd connections are for a TTL level serial input and should work fine with the Homework Board without the need for any level shifting or null cabel at all.

The following link shows various connections with the Lynxmotion SSC-32 Servo Board and, among other things, the BBII which is similar in function to the Homework Board and the BOE: http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build136.htm#aglance.

Just a thought.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-01-08 01:26
    OK, TomC, I see that, too.· Since the SSC J4 is there, I figured the inter-connect with a nice cable would be least dodgey, but either way.·

There you have it, Dr. Evil.
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2009-01-08 21:18
    Can I use any three pins on the Stamp·or are there decated pins for serial communications?

Thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-01-08 21:20
    There are no dedicated pins for serial communications. Any I/O pins (0-15) will do.