Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wired BS2 OEM - Doesnt work - How do I find the problem? — Parallax Forums

Wired BS2 OEM - Doesnt work - How do I find the problem?

JacePriesterJacePriester Posts: 7
edited 2009-01-07 03:27 in BASIC Stamp
I didn't buy the BS2 OEM Kit because I'm going to incorporate this onto a custom circuit board soon. I did a prototype by hand to test my wiring. Good thing .. It doesn't work.

How do I even begin to figure out what the problem is here?

So far as I can see:
1) I don't know how to test if the BS2 is running ... but there's no program for it to run right now anyway.
2) I can't program it.
3) I have no way of knowing if the BS2 is working correctly and my serial interface circuitry is wrong, or vice versa, or both.

Someone throw me a bone.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2009-01-07 02:45
    Did you purchase an "OEM" PIC from Parallax?

Because if you didn't, the off-the-shelf PIC16C57 isn't going to have the PBasic BS2 'run-time' programmed into it, and it's not going to work.
  • JacePriesterJacePriester Posts: 7
    edited 2009-01-07 02:54
    PROBLEM SOLVED.

I know all about that.. yes its a BS2 OEM chip. But thank you, that seems to be a common problem on here smile.gif

So here was the solution, and I think this is highly relevant:

The problem is in looking at the BS2 OEM wiring schematic:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/bs2oem.pdf

Look at the 9-pin serial connection pictured in the schematic, and now take your BS2 HomeWork board and flip it over. You'll notice that though the pin numbers in the schematic are correct, when compared to the actual wiring on the HomeWork board it is mirrored. Seems to me this is a mistake in the schematic. I mirrored all of the wires, and tada .. it's working perfectly.

Does anyone else concur that the pin order in Parallax's schematic is mirrored?
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2009-01-07 03:03
    The pin numbers/labels are valid/correct.

Post Edit -- Therefore, I do not concur.· Go with the pin numbers.· The J2 connector as depicted in the HWB doc and the OEM you linked·was their attempt to show the connector from the solder side; it's·inferences and references, go with the pin numbers.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 1/7/2009 12:32:05 PM GMT
  • JacePriesterJacePriester Posts: 7
    edited 2009-01-07 03:27
    PJ Allen: Yes, I already stated that the pin numbers are correct. However, the order in which they are drawn appears to be mirrored.

Again, anyone else concur?