Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with motorised flap — Parallax Forums

Help with motorised flap

ThundermikeyThundermikey Posts: 1
edited 2009-01-08 09:31 in BASIC Stamp
Hi guys, I am not an electronics whizz so need some help with something I hope is quite easy; I am looking to have a small motor·lift a light plastic flap via a switch. must open/close it 90deg and lock it in place (open or closed). Thats it - I would like a really small motor, and of course, cheap is good [noparse]:)[/noparse] plastic flap is about 20x20cm and preferably running on 12v - what all would i need here?

thank you guys [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-06 16:52
    If I understand correctly what you want, a servo motor would do what you need. Simple to use and robust.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-01-06 16:58
    A servo motor would do the job as SRLM mentioned. They're designed for the 4.8-7.2V range and the brushes tend to wear faster at the 7V end of range. 12V will damage or destroy them. You'll need some kind of voltage regulator if 12V is all you have.
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2009-01-06 17:17
    A 12 volt solenoid would be cheaper and easier to to control I would think.
    edited 2009-01-06 19:23
    Cheaper maybe, but easier to control? A servo is pretty darn easy... [noparse]:)[/noparse] and no high current drivers or protection circuits needed.
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-01-06 22:33
    heres the problem with using a servo for this, i have run into this situation many times before, for a novice at programing or electrical design, the basic components for this project would be a bs2 chip, (the cheapest a bs2 OEM kit) at 30$, a small servo at 13$, a 5-6v regulator, 2$, breadboard 6$ so something that a simple 5$ solenoid would sufice would cost over 50$ before shipping, a simple spring and solinoid would suffice.
    edited 2009-01-07 00:33
    You can't program or expand on the simple switch. If the project is mechanically oriented, then the solenoid would work. If you want to have specific actions happen at specific times, the uC would be the way to go. Plus, the SX is only $4.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-01-07 00:46
    Thundermikey

A gear reduction 12vDC motor with some limit switches is all you need here. With enough gear deduction, the motor Assy. will hold the flap in place.
    Better yet is a worm gear drive motor with two limit switches. As this has the best holding action in the OFF position.
    None of these need a $STAMP to work unless You want to control it via a serial/COM link or program code.

Look up REVERSING contactors

___________$WMc%__________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there·········································· E=$WMc%2
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2009-01-07 12:15
    I think it'd help to have a little more information about the project.
    This almost sounds like an outdoor project... where is it going to be used?
    Will the flap be "bumped" during motion or when locked up or down?
    Is there a danger of something getting caught and damaged/injured in the flap as it lowers?
    Will this run off batteries or a wall-wart or something else?
    edited 2009-01-07 15:47
    Is there need of computer control?
  • remmi870remmi870 Posts: 79
    edited 2009-01-08 09:31
    this seems like using a bulldozer to dig a rose garden, the cheapest you can get a compleet chip and servo is around 50 bucks after all the spare parts needed, a simple solenoid or gear motor would do the same, not to mention if it was all run from a switch, you wouldnt have too many moving parts or loose ends like you would if using a chip. i realize that the whole concept of these forums is to help people use the Stamp chips, but with the limited knowledge of electronic circuits and a tight budget the KISS principles apply here, keep it simple,stupid!