Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie Questions — Parallax Forums

Newbie Questions

LowIQGeniusLowIQGenius Posts: 13
edited 2009-01-05 14:03 in BASIC Stamp
Hey all, just wondering if anyone out there can explain to me (or know of a good link) how I can plug my BS2 project into a wall without having to buy a carrier board?· I want to mount my BS2 to a thru-hole pcb (like the kind at radio shack) for a project and would like to still use the same wall plug that I've been using on my BOE.· Any help?

Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy insulated wire that is OOBER thin?· I've been trying to find some #38 awg wire for my LED project and have had absolutely no luck.

Thanks!

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-05 08:31
    You can provide the BS2 with unregulated power directly from a wall since it has an on board regulator. However, it can't do very much by itself, so it's best to get a 5 V regulator and use that (LM--- something or another, LM317 is the variable one). If you intend to program while the BS2 is mounted on the PCB, then you'll need a programming interface. Other than that, you should be fine.

For very thin wire, try wire wrap wire.
  • UghaUgha Posts: 543
    edited 2009-01-05 14:03
    The BS2 needs regulated power. It has an onboard voltage regulator but if the power is extremely unstable or extremely high voltage, it'll fry the stamp.

Its best to follow SRLM's suggestion and use an external 5 volt voltage regulator. You may need a capactior or two in addition to the regulator... its best to read the datasheet for
    whichever regulator you buy and follow its instructions.

You'll also need a barrel-jack to connect the wallwart... you can find these at most online stores and radioshack.

As far as thin wire... try opening Cat5 ethernet cable. Inside are fairly small twisted pair wires. I'm not sure on their gauge.