Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
? Looking at EEPROM memory with Memory Manager — Parallax Forums

? Looking at EEPROM memory with Memory Manager

bdbbdb Posts: 30
edited 2009-01-05 04:39 in BASIC Stamp
Going through What's a Microcontroller, Chapter 7, where you make a reading and store the value to the EEPROM using the "WRITE eepromAddress, Word time" then use another program to read the memory back· using "READ eepromAddress, Word time".

Part of the exercise is to use the Memory Manager to look at the EEPROM memory.· I see where the program tokens are stored in the upper reaches of memory.· But I don't see where I can directly look a the stored variables in the memory manager.

For my own education, is there a way to actually look at the data representation on the EEPROM ?

I've tried writing a very repetative sequence to the memory and read it back (both repeating the same number like 10,10,10,10 expecting to see 0A,0A,0A and an increasing sequence 1,2,3,4,...10 of course Hex 1,2,3,4,....A).· However, I don't see where running the program makes the memory manager show more bytes as being occupied, much less seeing the expected sequence.

Am I missing something or does the Memory Manager not show data on the EEPROM, and if not, can you somehow directly look at the EEPROM ?

Comments

• MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2009-01-04 06:07
    The editor's memory map is not based on an actual memory scan. The memory map reflects the eeprom usage of your current program at compile time. It does not reflect data that is written to eeprom memory at runtime. If a previous program has populated the eeprom it still won't show. It will however show the information contained in DATA statements of the current program because these are written into eeprom at compile time by the editor. You can write something like:

DATA "This a test of the memory map"

You'll be able to see the stored data after the program is compiled. You can even view it in ASCII format.
  • bdbbdb Posts: 30
    edited 2009-01-05 04:22
    Thanks Mikerocontroller. Got the DATA sections to work like you mentioned. For the other I'll have to read by programming (Read address statements).
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2009-01-05 04:39
    · I mistakenly refer to DATA as a "statement".· It is actually a "directive".· The DATA directive instructs the compiler to write the DATA contents to eeprom (instead of the program itself).