Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Data logger — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Data logger

techstudenttechstudent Posts: 21
edited 2009-01-05 02:02 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking for any advice on using a Basic Stamp to log data into the EEPROM and then at a later time retrieve that data into an excel spread sheet.. What I am after is logging Temperature and Humidity once an hour for 24 hours and then linking up to my computer and plotting the data in excel... I have gotten the Temp/Humidity sensor to work and the Real Time Clock to work, now I just need to figure out how to get it all together..

Thanks.

Comments

• MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2009-01-03 18:44
    Ask Dr. Tracy Allen. No one knows more than he does about this particular subject.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-01-03 20:18
    Look at the documentation on StampPlot Pro which is available for free from Parallax (Downloads) and from Selmaware.

For the logging, read the chapters in the Stamp manual on the READ / WRITE statements.

You would either have two separate programs (one logger, the other uploader to PC) or have one program with some kind of switch to select between the two functions on a reset.
  • bdbbdb Posts: 30
    edited 2009-01-04 04:12
    Hi, I'm new to all this newfangled microelectronics stuff, but I looked at doing something similar. So the below may be helpful or may be total garbage.

As Mike Green Mentioned, look at the book What's a Microcontroller (if it didn't come with your stamp, you can download from parallax) - Chapter 7. It uses a photoresistor as the resistor in an RC circuit. It logs and saves the time to the EEPROM.

As part of the exercise, it leads you to download StampPlot Lite from www.selmaware.com - when you go there, you'll find that the full version is now free for personal use. This may be one solution.

While doing this exercise, I also stumbled on http://www.parallax.com/tabid/393/Default.aspx which is the PLX-DAQ Data Acquisition tool. Looks like this may directly do what you are looking for (I haven't gotten to playing with this yet).

So good luck - and hope I'm not sending you astray.
  • techstudenttechstudent Posts: 21
    edited 2009-01-05 01:32
    Hello again, and thanks for sending me in the right directions, and for the info, I got PLX-DAQ to work on my BS2, but cannot seem to get it to work with the BS2px.. it says in the text peceeding the program for "BS2P, BS2SX use 240 for 9600, 8-N-1" but doesn't say anything for the BS2px does anyone know any thing about this??
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2009-01-05 01:52
    Use 396. You can find the conversion tables in the SERIN or SEROUT section of the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual
  • techstudenttechstudent Posts: 21
    edited 2009-01-05 02:02
    Thanks for the quick reply I got it now.. thanks