Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID activates a solenoid — Parallax Forums

RFID activates a solenoid

goodidea?goodidea? Posts: 2
edited 2009-01-08 03:56 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I’ve got an idea that I would like to use RFID and I need some help building the circuit.· I am a beginner at programming circuits, but I can build them ok.· I need to make an RFID circuit that activates a small solenoid (12V) when a specific RFID tag hits the reader.· Also I would like a way to quickly program the circuit to any, one RFID tag.· Any ideas would be great as I am pretty inexperienced.·· Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-01-02 05:44
    Have you looked at the sample code linked off the webstore page for the RFID reader?

Have you looked at the Nuts and Volts Column (#120) on using the RFID reader?
    Click the Resources tab on the main Parallax webpage and you'll see the Nuts and Volts Columns index.

Both of these pretty much show how to do what you want.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 1/2/2009 6:03:25 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-02 06:18
    Take a look at the sample code on the RFID page for how to interface with that hardware. For activating the solenoid, a Darlington pair would probably work (along with protection diodes), then you simply pull the pin high or low to activate it. For the quick change of cards, a button would work. Press the button, and the next card scanned is saved as 'the one'.

Also, please don't duplicate post.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-01-02 15:56
    Hello,

Your duplicate post in the BASIC Stamp forum has been removed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-01-05 01:26
    goodidea?
    Take a look at this post this will help you do this part of what you want to do
    ·
    When a specific RFID tag hits the reader.·
    ·
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=586138

Also look at this post as well

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=595469

Also I would like a way to quickly program the circuit to any, one RFID tag.

This can be done by how you write your routine for that one card or for more than one card
    you could have each card turn a different solenoid if you wanted to that way

I hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 1/5/2009 1:39:35 AM GMT
  • goodidea?goodidea? Posts: 2
    edited 2009-01-08 03:56
    Thanks for all your help.· I think this should help!