Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
using a basic stamp to controll a rc helicopter — Parallax Forums

using a basic stamp to controll a rc helicopter

shankershanker Posts: 12
edited 2009-01-03 09:28 in BASIC Stamp
so where should i start because i don't have a clue. i know i will need to run two motors one for the tail and one for the center mass of the copter. and i think i want to use ir and gps with this unit. what do you all think and where should i start ?

Comments

• shankershanker Posts: 12
    edited 2008-12-31 06:14
    after thinking how unstable a helicopter would be i think i want to use a rc plane instead.
  • apstinkyapstinky Posts: 7
    edited 2008-12-31 06:17
    haha yeah, i have trouble flying a rc heli i got a few years ago with controls, letting a program with variables do what your instict normaly does probably wont work. however if you did want to do this just set up an IR communication between the BS2 and the heli, then go from there.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-12-31 16:26
    Not to be a party pooper but...

A RC helicopter, or plane, is a REALLY complicated project for your first. The chances of breaking expensive hardware and maybe even injuring yourself are just too high. If you really want to make it happen, download "What's a microcontroller" and work through the projects. Then, get good at flying. Then you can start making the helicopter of your dreams.

Also, you would never want to use IR to control a copter or plane. It is line of sight only, short range and sunlight interferes with it too easily. You will need to use RF for sure.

I'm NOT trying to discourage you. It's a great project and one that has been on my list for quite a while. You just need to take the time to learn what you need to know to make it actually work, instead of just wrecking hardware.

Just my .02. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-12-31 21:05
    Yeah, start with a car and work up from there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-12-31 21:56
    DIY Drones has lots of information on making autonomous aerial vehicles, including one design that uses a BS2.
  • soshimososhimo Posts: 215
    edited 2008-12-31 22:11
    Wasn't there just an ARPA challenge to have an autonomous land vehicle travel a certain amount of miles and/or navigate a track? Autonomous control of vehicles is certainly and advanced subject that is usually embarked upon well into your studies of electronics and electromechanics. As has been mentioned before, you may have less discouragement and more successes if you start out small. I know it seems mundane to blink an led, but trust me, not anyone can do it and to accomplish that is a great feat. Work up from there.

It's still a good idea though and definitely one you should keep in sight as an eventual goal. Remember, it's not the destination that matters, it's the trip along the way that counts, so have fun learning and experimenting!
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-02 06:09
    @soshimo

Yep! The DARPA Urban Challenge, about a year ago in November. I had the good fortune to be able to attend and talk with various teams. It was fascinating, even though I didn't understand most of it. My favorite vehicle (Cornel's black SUV) had the entire rear of the vehicle as a rack of computers to process all the data. It's certainly more than the hobby level, but the principles are often simple. I liked the Standford idea: they had two sensors (a scanning laser and a camera) and they scanned the road, figured where it was safe to drive, and used the colors of the road at that area to extrapolate from the camera images. A fairly simple idea, but lots of processing power.

Anyway, the cars navigated about 60 miles of Urban terrain without crashing into other cars or breaking traffic laws. Pretty neat stuff.
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2009-01-02 06:42
    Some students at the U.S. Naval Academy built an autonomous helicopter. They used a model with co-axial main rotors. The helo seemed pretty stable while holding altitude. The choice of helicopter probably went a long way towards making it possible but its still very inpressive. here is the link:

· http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQzaKFVjZk

Post Edited (Mikerocontroller) : 1/2/2009 6:48:01 AM GMT
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-01-02 23:41
    shanker I ahve a radio shack micro masqito helicopter I wired up my BS2 to the radio control and have been working on the code
    I can get it to hover and fly somewhat by controlling· the levers· outputs basiclly they are pots with some adc,s and while it does work its pretty cool I have no feedback control at all, so it works like this I run the code it asks questions like how high and you can enter a value or how fast and again enter a value but the problem is since there is no feedback control it will hit the cieling or wall I will be happy to post the schematic and code but it would be awesome if we could figure out how to get feedback back from the helicopter for real control I dont think this on "heli" has any kind of feedback IR or anything built into it has pretty good lift power so maybe we could come up with something
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2009-01-03 03:47
    Shanker

If A Helicopter is what You want to control, Then a helicopter should be Your test bed. Use some weights to hold down the Helicopter while Your testing the code.Then remove some weight from the helicopter to allow some movement."A tie down strap with about 2 feet of slack, would do for a hover test."

The $stamp will surprise You if You use rite. And this depends a lot on the remote control set up that the helicopter uses

_____________$WMc%____________

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there·········································· E=$WMc%2
  • shankershanker Posts: 12
    edited 2009-01-03 09:28
    mikediv

it is on man I sent you a PM so write me back man and I will so work with you on this.