Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
question about basic stamp homework board — Parallax Forums

question about basic stamp homework board

devin0devin0 Posts: 6
edited 2009-01-19 00:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, im new to these forums sorry if i posted this in the wrong place. Im doing a project with my basic stamp homework board that involves 120v ac. If i pass 120v ac through the breadboard in the basic stamp homework board will it damage the breadboard? Im not sure what the maximum voltage is for the breadboard is so i wanted to ask so i don't damage the board by mistake.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-31 05:07
    DO NOT attach 120V AC in any way to your HomeWork Board. It's too dangerous unless you really know what you're doing (and it's still dangerous even if you do know what you're doing). It can kill you and it can cause fires.

You'd be better off describing what you're trying to do. There may be safer solutions.
  • devin0devin0 Posts: 6
    edited 2008-12-31 06:33
    I have a relay i want to control with my basic stamp. I want to be able to switch a light on or off from my computer. Is this the best way to do this?
    edited 2008-12-31 06:34
    oh and the light runs on 120v.
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-12-31 12:14
    You might want to look into the XOUT command available in PBasic if you are starting a project in home automation. You can connect your homework board to an X-10 controller like the one listed at:
    http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_pl513.htm
    and attach the light to an X-10 module (you can find several on the same web site).

The X-10 controller provides all the necessary isolation so you will not be dealing with dangerous voltages at the stamp. It will also allow you to control multiple devices using your house wiring to communicate from the X-10 controller to the X-10 modules.
    edited 2008-12-31 16:36
    thanks msdtech that looks like its just what i need. So if i buy this how would i connect it to my basic stamp?
    edited 2008-12-31 17:00
    nvm i figured it out, thanks
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-12-31 17:57
    I'll be the bad boy here and point out that it is quite easy to switch AC on & off using a simple relay for a few bucks from the shack. Per Mike, don't bring 120VAC onto your homework board, that's asking for a bloody nose. I would CAREFULLY (!) install a 5V (coil) SPST relay of the proper rating inside your lamp/appliance (using the relay's C and NO connections as your switch contacts), then run two small wires between the homework board and your relay coil.· If you don't know what you are doing, you can get zapped.

Since you're using a homework board, that already has series 220-ohm resistor inline with each IO pin. See sketch attached.·That means you'll only need a 100-ohm·series resistor to·switch on a 2N2222 transistor to supply·the 5V to switch your relay. And you will want to use a flyback protection diode across the 5V relay coil to avoid damaging your stamp.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062480· is the smallest relay you should consider, since that's only good for 1 amp at 125 volts, or 125 watts.

To be a resposible Forumite, let me repeat: If you don't know what you are doing, you can get zapped. Don't drink & drive. Stay in school. Buy low, sell high.·Always use·Parallax.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."

Post Edited (erco) : 12/31/2008 6:08:51 PM GMT
    600 x 175 - 12K
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2009-01-01 04:13
    To all readers,
    Due to the EXTREME DANGERS of working with 110VAC house current, I would only recommend a solution such as the X10 if you are trying to design systems that switch and manipulate 110VAC. The system provides all the necessary isolation for the basic stamp and is nicely supported within PBasic. The Professional Development Board even provides the RJ11 interface for the X-10 module. The system gives you all the control necessary to operate lights and appliances and can be nicely driven by a BS2. I'm currently using X-10 to control the room lights, the flood lights and the model lights on my model railroad and I don't have to worry about the 110VAC power. I fell the $120 I invested in the X-10 controller and modules was the best form of life insurance I could purchase.
    Reading through these forums, the XOUT command seams to be one of the most underutilized features of the BS2, yet it provides the safest means of controlling 110VAC that is currently available to experimenters. I hightly recommend reading
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/BS2Appnotesv1_9.pdf

Post Edited (MSDTech) : 1/1/2009 4:18:52 AM GMT
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-01-01 04:56
    Whenever I want to control 120v with any digital circuit, I insist on using an opto-isolator. It's a good idea to keep everything separated (digital on one board and any 120v on another, only feeding the led portion with the 5v necessary to operate it. A good example is the moc3011 and 2N6073a combo, its good for resistive and inductive loads, just change a few support components and your good to go. You can actually turn on a 120v coil relay with a 5 volt trigger.
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-01-01 13:27
    Another option is to control the X10 Firecracker with the Basic Stamp. See www.x10.com/automation/firecracker.htm and Al Williams article www.awce.com/firecracker.htm
  • mbx2814mbx2814 Posts: 1
    edited 2009-01-16 05:56
    new to the forums here... so hello everybody

just came across this post and it almost exactly what I have been trying to work on.
    I have the Firecracker, the Basic Stamp 2 Homework Board, and my "button" to turn everything on. I want to make it so that my firecracker sends a signal to my X10 computer interface, which is plugged into my computer, to then forward the signal to my modules, spacing each signal to each module in 2-3 second intervals. My main concern is how to wire the firecracker, so the board, so that when the button is pressed it send my signal to my computer, which runs a script (created from a program perhaps?), which will send out the signal to my modules. any help?
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-01-16 06:40
    Here is a relevant link to controlling a wall socket:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=119
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-01-16 12:16
    SRLM said...
    Here is a relevant link to controlling a wall socket:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=119

I built that device, following the tutorial instructions carefully, and it works. It was my first foray into controlling 120VAC, though I also have a Futurlec Optoisolation board with 4 relays that can handle house current (I've only used it with 12VDC so far).

I'm skittish enough about wiring that I wouldn't think about leaving either of those devices plugged in while I wasn't actively working with it. They're fine, I think, for experimenting, but I wouldn't think of anything I wired together like that as a replacement for a commercial product for controlling house current fulltime/unattended. Of course for the experienced/knowledgeable among us, no problem, but for those of us just learning, no way.

To Erco's post above, I'd add "test your device for proper continuity/noncontinuity first, then with low voltage from a battery, making sure it does what you expect before connecting it to a wall socket". Of course I don't think that's necessary if you go the X10 route, but with anything homemade, I think it's an important couple of steps.

Post Edited (sylvie369) : 1/16/2009 12:23:11 PM GMT
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2009-01-19 00:01
    A solid state relay would be my choice..

example: web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Relays_-z-_Timers/Solid-State_Relays

or build your own solid_state_switch.jpg